Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch on Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you guys buying the Draw-Tite hitch anywhere else? It looks like etrailer has hiked up the price significantly to like $379:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...LeKuJmEowqs1WzakFtM925CvnadYZyQBoCu5cQAvD_BwE

And interestingly the hitch that says it's a Draw-Tite 76143 from Amazon appears to be the wrong hitch? There's just 3 reviews and they are sad MX owners who disassembled their bumper to find the hitch doesn't fit...

It looks like etrailer has a "price match guarantee", but you have to buy it first and then they will refund the difference? I'm on hold with etrailer to see if I can talk to someone about it but it's been about 15 minutes and nobody picking up yet...I've heard good things about their customer service, but maybe they are shorthanded right now?

Anyways, also hoping to join the Draw-Tite club and install my own hitch on my 2016 MX with no preexisting hitch installed. We shall see!

Sorry if this question was asked before. I am not too handy and don’t want to install the tow hitch myself on my model X refresh. Yes, Yes I read everywhere that said it’s easy. :) My question is for anyone who went through Tesla Service Center and have them do the install. Is there a charge or is it free? Thanks.

Sorry if this question was asked before. I am not too handy and don’t want to install the tow hitch myself on my model X refresh. Yes, Yes I read everywhere that said it’s easy. :) My question is for anyone who went through Tesla Service Center and have them do the install. Is there a charge or is it free? Thanks.
If your question is, will Tesla install a different tow hitch on your car the answer is “no”.

In 2020 I used The Rackspot in San Carlos to install a hitch on my Model 3. They could do your X. See https://www.therackspot.com/

If you have a Model X refresh, you already have a hitch installed. The receiver is removable and should be in a bag in the trunk or frunk.

If that’s the part you mean, and you’re not comfortable trying it yourself, I’m sure the service center would pop it on at no cost; it’s about a 30 second task.

What are you planning to put on the hitch?

Reactions: Vthai123
If you have a Model X refresh, you already have a hitch installed. The receiver is removable and should be in a bag in the trunk or frunk.

If that’s the part you mean, and you’re not comfortable trying it yourself, I’m sure the service center would pop it on at no cost; it’s about a 30 second task.

What are you planning to put on the hitch?
Yes I just need to pop it in but not comfortable doing it myself. I plan to add an accessory so I can carry bicycles. Thanks.

Reactions: dmurphy
Yes I just need to pop it in but not comfortable doing it myself. I plan to add an accessory so I can carry bicycles. Thanks.

Excellent - as long as you have it, just swing by the service center. I’m sure they’d be happy to - it really doesn’t take more than a minute. I wouldn’t open a service ticket or anything; just go there.

If you were in NJ, I’d offer to help myself but that’s a long drive for you! :)

Reactions: Vthai123
It’s not meant to be left installed permanently. Be sure to have them show you how to remove it when you are done using it. Also, It is really easy to overload the hitch with a bike rack. 120 lbs is the maximum, which includes the weight of rack itself.

MaInly it gets very dirty, plus with the cover removed, there is a large open hole on the back end of the car, increasing energy consumption.
I keep the cover in place. I cut a hole in it just big enough for the hitch and extension chains to fit through. I moved the 7-pin connector onto the adjacent belly pan so I don't need to access it through the hitch opening.

Tow Hitch Opening