Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my logic we all know its the exact same car just the X has a bigger body and weighs more but the bones are the same as the S so i don't see any reason for it to be an issue. I mean i plan to keep the weights in spec because obv safety and all. no reason to put 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound sack
Actually S and X are quite different. I had an X and was quite surprised how different the S really is. X is not a bigger body on an S. But S can tow up to 3500 lbs. see post above. But I would not go above 2000 lbs without trailer brakes (that was required on my Grand Cherokee too) Some trailers have Surge brakes and nothing electrical is needed. If a trailer has brakes, they should be used/hooked-up

I towed that 30 miles and I went from 230 wh/mi typical to 330 wh/mi. Not bad at all. Probably ~3000 lbs.

52210263942_2afd028bcf_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
Actually S and X are quite different. I had an X and was quite surprised how different the S really is. X is not a bigger body on an S. But S can tow up to 3500 lbs. see post above. But I would not go above 2000 lbs without trailer brakes (that was required on my Grand Cherokee too) Some trailers have Surge brakes and nothing electrical is needed. If a trailer has brakes, they should be used/hooked-up

I towed that 30 miles and I went from 230 wh/mi typical to 330 wh/mi. Not bad at all. Probably ~3000 lbs.
hahaha that tiny trailer has no wind resistance and that is what kills the mileage, not so much the weight. My wh/mi is usually around 380wh/mi at 90 mph and with the trailer its an average of 605wh/mi at 60 mph.
So yes more charging stops but its free and I'll be retired and collecting a pension in about 150 days so there will be plenty of free time to charge while traveling around the country.

Reactions: aerodyne