Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Hitch, Very Limited Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way it is set up is the electrical plug is very close to the receiver so there is not much room to install the hitch pin. It clears but forget putting a locking hitch pin on this setup, simply no room with the very limited space available. Also, the safety chain hooks are above which may be a little difficult to get to. I ended up attaching a couple of stainless shackles to make connections easier. The cover which conceals the hitch is a joke, almost impossible to remove. Highly suggest you modify it like in this video. Overall a nice clean setup and the car tows like a champ.

I agree it's tight, but I didn't have trouble with the hitch pin. It goes in from the right side, and pin "key" goes in on the left.

Trimming the panel clips is a great idea. After taking mine on and off a dozen times, many of those clips are broken anyways....

D15824EB-DDEE-42C0-BD16-566E9BD2204E.png
I just trimmed my panel this evening.

Yes space is limited, pulls like a champ - but this hitch pin has made things soo much easier for me in that limited space behind the tricky panel.

Reactions: Haark
Thats the same hitch pin I have, works well but just makes it, 1/4" longer and it would be a no go. If you want a really nice light hitch, this is great. All aluminum plus the same brand makes a nice Stainless steel ball to go with it. Can be flipped around which will give you a 2" rise if needed which is how I am using it. 7. TRZ2AL-FM - TRIMAX Locks

If you need dual balls and adjustability I have this on my Ridgeline which fits nicely on the Tesla. Once again all aluminum. 1. TRZ4AL-RP - TRIMAX Locks

Last edited:
I find this hitch pin access frustrating as well. I primarily use the hitch for a bike rack which has a threaded lock pin that greatly reduces rack shake - but the inline lock does not work on the Y. What's worse, its difficult to lock a cable to the towing chain loops so you have to lock the bikes to the rack but if you can't lock the rack to the Y, then criminals can just pull the hitch pin and get a couple nice bikes and a nice rack.

s-l200.jpg

I have a bike rack on the Y. Because the trailer electric plug is placed so close to the hitch receiver, I can't put the lock on. Very irritating...
1UP USA has one for their bike racks. I'm sure they sourced it from somewhere, but they do sell them. Just call or email and ask for a tesla model Y hitch lock. There are also other right angle hitch locks on amazon that I'm sure will work.

73eXa4sl.jpg

RJKs4TVl.jpg

I find this hitch pin access frustrating as well. I primarily use the hitch for a bike rack which has a threaded lock pin that greatly reduces rack shake - but the inline lock does not work on the Y. What's worse, its difficult to lock a cable to the towing chain loops so you have to lock the bikes to the rack but if you can't lock the rack to the Y, then criminals can just pull the hitch pin and get a couple nice bikes and a nice rack.

View attachment 767157

based on @tricky_tran's post above I ordered this similar hitch pin and lock:

And the perpendicular lock head works with my threaded Heininger pin. It may not be keyed alike and is a pain to install but at least I can have my rack both locked and anti-shake bolted!