Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer mode automatically activated when connect lights, but doesn't automatically exit when I unplug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure in the past when I disconnected my trailer lights after towing, the car automatically exited Trailer Mode. It knows to automatically go into trailer mode when I plug the lights in, but now it doesn't exit when I unplug. If I'm not paying attention, I or my wife may drive for a while before we notice. Since they warn against having it in trailer mode when not towing, why does it now not automatically exit when I unplug? Anyone else have the same issue?

thanks.

Normal operation according to the manual:

Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. When you connect a trailer’s electrical connection while the vehicle is in Park, Model Y automatically engages Trailer Mode. When you disconnect the trailer’s electrical connection, Trailer Mode does not automatically disengage. To manually engage or disengage Trailer Mode, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen.

Reactions: slmskrs
Normal operation according to the manual:

Trailer Mode must always be active when towing a trailer. When you connect a trailer’s electrical connection while the vehicle is in Park, Model Y automatically engages Trailer Mode. When you disconnect the trailer’s electrical connection, Trailer Mode does not automatically disengage. To manually engage or disengage Trailer Mode, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen.
I could have sworn it automatically turned trailer mode off in the past. My wife wouldn't have known how to turn it off. But maybe I just didn't it subconsciously.

That reminds me, just got back from towing the boat. Heading back to the garage to turn towing off. 😉

Okay, just got in thecar to turn it off abd it's already off. Maybe it does after a while since it's been over two hours since I got back....

When you disconnect the trailer’s electrical connection, Trailer Mode does not automatically disengage. To manually engage or disengage Trailer Mode, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Trailer Mode on the touchscreen.
Maybe the manual is incomplete, in that it is correct that Trailer Mode does not automatically disengage the moment you unplug the trailer electrical connection, but…
just got in thecar to turn it off abd it's already off. Maybe it does after a while since it's been over two hours since I got back....
…Trailer Mode does disengage/turn off when the car turns off after you park and walk away.

Reactions: rotarypower101