Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer mode disables TeslaCam and Sentry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently used my trailer and none of the clips of my drive were recorded and sentry mode seems to have not captured anything either.

Someone stole my license plate and both tail lights off of the trailer today and I have no footage! :(.

I recently used my trailer and none of the clips of my drive were recorded and sentry mode seems to have not captured anything either.
Someone stole my license plate and both tail lights off of the trailer today and I have no footage! :(.
Sorry for the trouble. There may be a misunderstanding of how 'TeslaCam' works (or I'm confused).

TeslaCam <> Dashcam meaning there are not constant recordings put on the USB drive. My blackvue writes constant 1 min clips. My TeslaCam only writes 10 min clips when I press it (or if there was an accident).

If they stole your trail plates/lights and stayed directly behind your vehicle+trailer then I'm not sure the side cameras and front camera would pick up 'sentry' movement.

Reactions: MP3Mike

If you had Sentry Mode running, perhaps the rear of your trailer was far enough away from your car such that movement didn’t trigger it. You don’t mention if you were hitched up at the time, or if you were unhitched how the trailer was positioned relative to the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
If you had Sentry Mode running, perhaps the rear of your trailer was far enough away from your car such that movement didn’t trigger it. You don’t mention if you were hitched up at the time, or if you were unhitched how the trailer was positioned relative to the car.

I was hitched when the lights and plate were removed. Sentry could easily have been to far to trigger so I get why that footage would be missing.

The more curious part is why there is zero footage from anytime on my drive when the trailer was attached (TeslaCam).

Did you see my post above? Why do you think there would be footage from your drive? Did you push the icon to save it?

You are right, I misunderstood the TeslaCam saving function. I read through the manual and it works as described. TeslaCam saves the latest 60 minutes and then overwrites and Sentry saves clips until the drive is full and then overwrites.

More than 60 minutes had passed before I checked and Sentry probably didn't capture anything because the taillights were too far from the car.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: scottf200