TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

"Trailer Mode ON" when driving in deep water/heavy rain!?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Peteybabes, Jul 14, 2017.

?

Has Anybody Run Into This?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

Let's be clear, my car is not even equipped with the Tow Package.

about half way through this video it pops up...

2. mongo

mongo Member

#2 mongo, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    The car detects a trailer by sensing current draw on the trailer connections. If the water was deep enough to get water in the un-populated trailer connector, it could cause enough of an electrical connection to trigger tow/ trailer mode. Did it go away once it dried out?

Edit: This idea is wrong, X activates trailer mode when it sees a heavy load. In this case due to moving the water out of the way (most likely reason).

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your question. Just a weird glitch.

But I was interested to note that at the 1:30 point in your video the driver's display showed "STOP" at the upper left and the left front ultrasonics were detecting an obstacle. However your video showed no obstacle that I could see. I think what may have happened is that the water was so deep that it was registered as an obstacle. So likely over 6-8" of water.

4. Peteybabes

it stopped as soon as i got back in the car for the next drive, there was no chance for it to dry out with this rain.

i was wondering if it was noticing the drag on the tires and the extra effort to drive, and it assumed i was towing something.

what does trailer mode even do?

5. Peteybabes

that's correct, it was 8-12" deep which was why several cars with low clearance literally died...

6. mongo

mongo Member

Cool, you're right. That makes more sense that my fresh water unsealed connector idea.
    From the X manual https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf:
    " Note: In situations where Model X detects a heavy load, it assumes that a trailer is connected and automatically engages Trailer Mode."

As for what it does:
    Page 69-70l :
    In Trailer Mode, the following Model X features are disabled:
    • Autosteer.
    • Autopark.
    •Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the car in front of you.
    •Park Assist (rear).
    •Smart Air Suspension will not make speed-based adjustments fromSTANDARD to LO
    • Smart Air Suspension does not make automatic height adjustments based on saved location-based settings.
    • Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.

In addition, the braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist on page 96)
    is significantly limited.

/end copy

• Like x 1
  7. mongo

mongo Member

Something I hadn't realized about cars v.s. water is that they often get in trouble due to the car loosing traction when the water gets to the floor pan, and buoyancy kicks in. Be safe out there.

8. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Elon did say that the S and X would float (assuming the doors are aligned and sealed properly) and that the entire battery and drive motor units are fully sealed — so you'd be able to use the wheels as pretty poor paddle wheels and propel yourself through the water.

Of course, highly ill-advised.

9. mongo

mongo Member

Do the wheel covers provide more side thrust than the treads provide forward? And are the covers mirrored or identical left/right, will the car go sideways? How large of a trolling motor can you attach to the hitch receiver and still not overload the 12V system? :D

I'm guessing the door drain holes would eventually ruin the fun, based on vehicle draft. But, if you taped over the seams, then climbed in through the window...

• Funny x 2
  10. Peteybabes

agree, don't know if i would have the courage to go through anything much deeper.

11. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

great video, do you have the accessory hitch?

12. Peteybabes

Nope not even the accessory hitch!

13. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

Weird, maybe all cars have hardware and able to use the full 3500-5000 pounds

14. Peteybabes

another thing i should mention that i noticed this morning was that a couple pieces of plastic were pulled loose...

fender1.jpg fender2.jpg

Tesla reattached these today at lunch time, but they told me that way up inside where i couldn't see there was a bend or crease that i could pay them to replace the whole piece...since i can't see it i won't bother.

15. mongo

mongo Member

16. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Connecting a tow harness (for lights, haven’t tested with brakes) will trigger towing mode. I think the first idea may be the correct one, that the harness shorted. I have towed not-so-heavy things without the harness and towing mode was not triggered (although I could turn it on in Settings). Previously towing mode fixed the suspension at Standard but I just checked and was able to set the hight while in Towing mode. It will not auto-change the suspension height.

• Like x 1
  17. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

Also in the Owner's Manual:

Trailer Sway Mitigation
    When trailer sway is detected, Model X’s
    electronic stability control system attempts to
    apply the appropriate amount of braking to
    minimize trailer sway. The instrument panel
    briefly displays the traction control system
    indicator. Pressing the brake pedal when the
    system is actively braking to mitigate trailer
    sway does not cancel this automatic braking.

18. Mrcook4590

Mrcook4590 Member

19. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This.

Tow mode is turned on just by attaching my LED light adapter to the 7-pin connector. I believe that connector shorted due to water and tow mode was enabled.

20. travwill

travwill Active Member

I’m thinking the wiring got wet and shorted/connected circuits some and it though a trailer was attached.

You have the wiring even without the reinforced bar/hitch. We got tow package added later as well and wiring is up under there...