Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer mode when using bike rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear sensors go nuts, but only in reverse.
This past weekend we finally used our bike rack (Thule T2 Pro XT 2) with the X for the first time. Is there any way to turn off the alarms from the rear sensors!? My wife used to keep the rack on her CRV all summer (at a minor hit in mileage), but she really dislikes the car yelling at her when she backs down the driveway.

This is not true.
It was true at the time. It might have changed with a software update. Car doesn't recognise LED lights and discussed this with Melbourne Service as the Tesla bike rack has incandescent light gloves. Had to add a resistor to my bike rack to get the car to see it. Now it automatically goes in to trailer mode, blue caravan icon, and you can turn off tow mode, icon goes orange, and then you can use autopilot with the bike rack on.

You do need to be in tow mode if your bike rack has lights. Lights don't work unless in tow mode :( Stupid idea. Lights should work regardless.

Nope. The car will recognize rack mounted lights when plugged in, but not go into full trailer mode. I think the trailer icon comes on in yellow as opposed to blue for full trailer mode.

You should NOT use trialer mode when not towing a trailer.

Nope. The car will recognize rack mounted lights when plugged in, but not go into full trailer mode. I think the trailer icon comes on in yellow as opposed to blue for full trailer mode.

You should NOT use trialer mode when not towing a trailer.

You can't activate trailer mode if the car doesn't "see" a trailer. You can press the button, get the blue caravan logo, but when you press the brake pedal, the icon disappears and the car goes out of trailer mode. This is all while in "P". Press the "i" for info next to the trailer mode switch and it will expand with more info.

So, when I plugged in my trailer or bike rack, both with LED lights, the car didn't recognise anything. Plugged in friends trailer with incandescent lights, trailer blue light (caravan logo), lights up indicating in trailer mode. This disables Autopilot.

After installing a resistor in my bike rack and trailer plug, my car now automatically goes in to trailer mode. What I can do then, if using my bike rack but still want to use Autopilot, I then turn off trailer mode, now orange caravan light is lit up on my dash and I can use Autopilot.

You can't activate trailer mode if the car doesn't "see" a trailer. You can press the button, get the blue caravan logo, but when you press the brake pedal, the icon disappears and the car goes out of trailer mode.

Mine does not seem to do this, but it has been a while and perhaps recent firmware has changed the behavior. Mine will (or would) put the icon up in yellow if I plugged in trailer lights or carrier lights. That indicated a light connection. If I had a trailer, I would press the button to change it to blue indicating full trailer mode. With no trailer, mine would go into trailer mode (blue) with the button and stay there.

I will check and see if it now goes out upon brake pedal press. It could be that Tesla changed the algorithm to be more cautious of a trailer not being present. I recall they initially were very adamant about not using trailer mode without a trailer. Maybe this is how they fixed it.

Reactions: Jays200
Mine does not seem to do this, but it has been a while and perhaps recent firmware has changed the behavior. Mine will (or would) put the icon up in yellow if I plugged in trailer lights or carrier lights. That indicated a light connection. If I had a trailer, I would press the button to change it to blue indicating full trailer mode. With no trailer, mine would go into trailer mode (blue) with the button and stay there.

I will check and see if it now goes out upon brake pedal press. It could be that Tesla changed the algorithm to be more cautious of a trailer not being present. I recall they initially were very adamant about not using trailer mode without a trailer. Maybe this is how they fixed it.

Past Tesla behaviour is not a good indicator of current or future behaviour, as we have all too well come to learn ;)

• Funny
Reactions: jlv1
Past Tesla behaviour is not a good indicator of current or future behaviour, as we have all too well come to learn ;)

So I just tested mine and it still works as I described earlier. I can select Trailer Mode, the blue icon comes up and I can drive away and it stays on, with no trailer attached.

I notice you are in Australia and wonder if there is a difference between those cars and North American ones (aside from your steering wheels being on the wrong side :) )

• Love
Reactions: crazygordon297
So I just tested mine and it still works as I described earlier. I can select Trailer Mode, the blue icon comes up and I can drive away and it stays on, with no trailer attached.

I notice you are in Australia and wonder if there is a difference between those cars and North American ones (aside from your steering wheels being on the wrong side :) )

We agree to have different experiences regards our tow mode operation. My electrical engineer Tesla buddy worked out that a resistor (I think from memory 11k ohms 1 watt across ground and the indicator) was enough to make our MX know there was an LED lit trailer plugged in. I've added that resistor to all my accessories that I plug in to the MX and all is good.

I'll agree our steering wheel is on the wrong side if you agree the northern hemisphere is on the bottom ;)

Reactions: Roamer
We agree to have different experiences regards our tow mode operation. My electrical engineer Tesla buddy worked out that a resistor (I think from memory 11k ohms 1 watt across ground and the indicator) was enough to make our MX know there was an LED lit trailer plugged in. I've added that resistor to all my accessories that I plug in to the MX and all is good.

I haven't tried with LED lights and agree that might not be enough of a load for the car to "sense" it. In my case, a trailer or carrier (with incandescent lights) makes my light come on yellow, but I have to manually select it to turn it blue for full trailer tow mode.

I'll agree our steering wheel is on the wrong side if you agree the northern hemisphere is on the bottom ;)

LOL... fair enough!