Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Nags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have trailer mode on my vehicle, I can tell because if I enable Trailer Mode toggle, it shows a blue trailer icon in the dash. This icon will also automatically show itself when I plug in a wiring harness into the 7pin.

Now onto my dilemma - I have a Thule cargo box and whenever I have that on my vehicle (either with or without the harness plugged in), I will constantly get two different nags:

1) Park assist disabled - this happens every time I slow down to stop.
2) Parking sensor may be obstructed - this happens anytime

Other than disabling the trailer mode toggle, are these nags expected behavior? I've called Tesla support and they are so incompetent, they don't know if it is supposed to act that way or not. Their answer to EVERYTHING is "let me show you how to reset your car" and they'll have me do that every single time I call, and of course doesn't fix a single thing.

I have a Thule cargo box
By that do you mean that your have an external storage box that is attached to the car through the trailer hitch receiver so that it is located directly behind the rear bumper?

If so, the rear ultrasonic sensors are detecting the box and interpreting it as an obstacle. Which does not surprise me.

You mention a “harness plugged in”; does the cargo box have an electrical system and a cable that plugs into the connection next to the hitch receiver? Maybe you could provide a link to the Thule web page that describes the cargo box you own.

I appreciate your willingness to help, but I'm looking for those who have actual experience with the same or similar scenario, and know what the expected behavior is. Such as from this write up. No offense, but I'm just trying to get straight answers, and since Tesla official support doesnt even know, I'd like to not go back and forth with wild hypothesis like most of the threads do.

Fwiw, this is the thule carrier.

I have trailer mode on my vehicle, I can tell because if I enable Trailer Mode toggle, it shows a blue trailer icon in the dash. This icon will also automatically show itself when I plug in a wiring harness into the 7pin.

Now onto my dilemma - I have a Thule cargo box and whenever I have that on my vehicle (either with or without the harness plugged in), I will constantly get two different nags:

Other than disabling the trailer mode toggle, are these nags expected behavior? I've called Tesla support and they are so incompetent, they don't know if it is supposed to act that way or not. Their answer to EVERYTHING is "let me show you how to reset your car" and they'll have me do that every single time I call, and of course doesn't fix a single thing.

So exactly what behavior were you expecting?