Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer towing on 2022 Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
I've been considering towing a small trailer with my M3 LR. I've looked through a lot of old posts and it still doesn't seem like there are a lot of options for tow hitches in the US for the 3.

I want something removable and easily hidden when not in use. At the moment I am leaning toward the Ecohitch. The Stealth hitch looks interesting too.

Anyone have any feedback on these hitches or alternative (better) options that I might have missed?

Any issues with the new lithium batteries for the accessory power causing issues for wiring? Any good no splicing or cutting wiring options out there for the '22 M3's with the updated batteries?

I ordered it through Torklift. I think it came to $493 for the hitch. I ordered a Tekonsha controller from another site for about $130. Shipping was free on both orders.

The final reason I went with the Forklift Ecohitch was I just wanted to use one insert (for the hitch) so I could either use a bike rack or tow. On the Stealth hitch you have to swap out depending on what you are doing.

I ordered it through Torklift. I think it came to $493 for the hitch. I ordered a Tekonsha controller from another site for about $130. Shipping was free on both orders.

The final reason I went with the Forklift Ecohitch was I just wanted to use one insert (for the hitch) so I could either use a bike rack or tow. On the Stealth hitch you have to swap out depending on what you are doing.
Well, I don't think I'm paying an extra couple hundred for science so I guess I'm going with the eco hitch as well now. Probably pass on the wiring harness as I have another car that can tow a trailer as well.

You make a good point on the two vs one adapters as well.

Installed and happy. Getting the rear bumper plastic back on was a pain but other than that relatively easy install.
Hey guys, just wondering if you have any updates on the install and impressions. I am curious if DayTrippin has used a trailer with it yet and how it went.

It works great. Very happy with the Torklift hitch. I am still sorting out the lights so I had to improvise with very bright bicycle lights that have brake lights but it easily tows as well, if not a bit better, than my Model Y did. Definitely has a lot more punch when towing than the Y did. They both have acceleration boost.

Reactions: kessel_run
It works great. Very happy with the Torklift hitch. I am still sorting out the lights so I had to improvise with very bright bicycle lights that have brake lights but it easily tows as well, if not a bit better, than my Model Y did. Definitely has a lot more punch when towing than the Y did. They both have acceleration boost.
Thanks, I just ordered the Torklift from their site it is currently $443. The problem with the lights, is it because the harness is not compatible with 21-22 Model 3s or you just haven't had a chance to wire it up?

Mine has the higher voltage battery for all the accessory stuff. I believe it is rated at 16v versus the normal 12v. I could potentially use a resistor to reduce the voltage but I'd rather have a cleaner setup than putting in a resistor somewhere.

I have an EcoHitch on my Model 3. While I hate the range hit, it does work well for towing. And for hauling bikes.

Attachments

• 200491FC-FA99-4407-9995-38418808AAB4.jpeg
    200491FC-FA99-4407-9995-38418808AAB4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
Mine has the higher voltage battery for all the accessory stuff. I believe it is rated at 16v versus the normal 12v. I could potentially use a resistor to reduce the voltage but I'd rather have a cleaner setup than putting in a resistor somewhere.
Hey just wanted to let you know I have a 2022 with the new battery and I just tapped into the trailer wiring harness for 12v power for my trailer.

20220727_133017.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak and cmy4x4