Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailer Towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yellow indicates that the Tesla recognizes that it is towing something. The blue icon is lit when it is not towing something. This is, I believe, called "trailer mode." You enable or disable trailer mode in the driving section under controls on the touchscreen. There is a short explanation under the information button by the trailer mode button about what trailer mode does, but it is best to read the towing section of the manual. Hope this helps, Jim

• Disagree
Reactions: pvogel
I've had the Service Center install a factory hitch on my X. While towing a small utility trailer, my panel indicator shows a yellow trailer icon. In the manual it shows the icon as blue. What does the yellow rather than blue indicate?
Page 75 of the Model X manual available at
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

60BE9937-9E63-4E47-8627-722A32DD8FF1.png

• Informative
Reactions: pvogel and Bogobec
I've had the Service Center install a factory hitch on my X. While towing a small utility trailer, my panel indicator shows a yellow trailer icon. In the manual it shows the icon as blue. What does the yellow rather than blue indicate?

There's a chance they forgot to update your firmware after the hardware installation.

If the indicator doesn't change to blue when you hook up a trailer to it; or if you don't have the Trailer Mode option on your screen; go back to the SC before you tow any more. The blue icon is only available when you have the towing software enabled. If you do not have the software, it will kick into yellow only and will not go into blue.

Sorry Jim, but that is not correct. See above.
Oops, my bad. I have been disabling trailer mode by turning it off because I have a permanently connected trailer plug (thus getting the yellow icon), and realized that the blue is the connected mode. We even have a little chant before pulling our trailer: "Blue (for the trailer icon), and .C. (for the brake controller.)
So sorry for the misinformation! Jim

Oops, my bad. I have been disabling trailer mode by turning it off because I have a permanently connected trailer plug (thus getting the yellow icon), and realized that the blue is the connected mode. We even have a little chant before pulling our trailer: "Blue (for the trailer icon), and .C. (for the brake controller.)
So sorry for the misinformation! Jim

A full and active plug? Or a converter? I have a 4 to 7 adapter that I leave plugged in. My car won’t kick on the blue icon until I plug the flat 4 in.

It’s a simple one, no testing lights or anything.

A full and active plug? Or a converter? I have a 4 to 7 adapter that I leave plugged in. My car won’t kick on the blue icon until I plug the flat 4 in.

It’s a simple one, no testing lights or anything.
It is the converter. Since we converted to the draw-tite hitch assembly it is easier for us to simply leave the converter attached under the pan for use when we travel (as in next Sunday for two weeks!). Thanks for pointing out the distinction. Jim

I think that Tesla will not offer such an extension cable. It would introduce greater resistance into the charging system (greater overall length and an additional connection junction) and an additional failure point. I just don’t see why Tesla would feel it was worthwhile to put resources into designing, manufacturing, and selling such a product that would have a very limited market.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I think that Tesla will not offer such an extension cable. It would introduce greater resistance into the charging system (greater overall length and an additional connection junction) and an additional failure point. I just don’t see why Tesla would feel it was worthwhile to put resources into designing, manufacturing, and selling such a product that would have a very limited market.

One day we might see a Tesla to J1772 adapter though to allow other electric vehicles to charge on the Tesla network. Then wouldn’t you be able to use that with the UMC as an extension cord?

One day we might see a Tesla to J1772 adapter though to allow other electric vehicles to charge on the Tesla network. Then wouldn’t you be able to use that with the UMC as an extension cord?

Nope. Superchargers deliver roughly 400V DC at 300 amps (120 kw). J1772 are for low current AC only applications only, 208/240 VAC at 80 amps maximum.

What you *might* see someday is SOB (some other brand) EVs with an adapter for the Tesla connector to whatever DC connector is installed on the SOB EV. However some of the upcoming EVs seem to be moving to an 800V battery, which would seem to limit the charging options even further.

At the very least, interesting changes are coming someday, probably not soon.

Last edited:
Nope. Superchargers deliver roughly 400V DC at 300 amps (120 kw). J1772 are for low current AC only applications only, 208/240 VAC at 30 amps maximum.

What you *might* see someday is SOB (some other brand) EVs with an adapter for the Tesla connector to whatever DC connector is installed on the SOB EV. However some of the upcoming EVs seem to be moving to an 800V battery, which would seem to limit the charging options even further.

At the very least, interesting changes are coming someday, probably not soon.

Ok ok, (I'm being absurd now) So then let's say you buy a Tesla -> Chadmeo Adapter. Then a Chadmeo -> Tesla adapter. String enough of those adapters along and you have a very expensive and extremely unsafe extension cord!!

Tesla should consider a couple drive through stations at each location.

They could use signage similar to the "use last" signs on the handicapped charging stalls.

Sure make things easiers for people towing trailers.
This issue has been discussed before. See
New Super Chargers Should Have At Least One Pull-Through Stall

Yes that would be nice, but many of the Superchargers I have visited are located in parking lots where that kind of stall would not be possible without significant additional work and it would take up an additional parking spot. Many landlords are unlikely to be receptive to that idea.

Only a tiny fraction of all X owners tow a trailer. I can understand why Tesla does not make it a priority to include pull through “towing only” stalls. It only takes a few minutes to unhitch and hitch back up. That said, when I have the opportunity to use a Supercharger without unhitching, and I won’t block another stall or if I do I am sure there will be plenty of free stalls available while I charge, I take that opportunity.

There is a thread on TMC about “trailer friendly” Superchargers.