Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trailering a Boat - Florida to DFW

rgedad

Apr 6, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
So - the good news - I just bought a 15' Boston Whaler SuperSport bay boat (See Photo). The interesting news is I picked it up in Fort Lauderdale, FL area to trailered it back home to Fort Worth, Tx - 1343 miles total (See attached ABRP chart for trip down to pick-up). First time long distance trailering with my 2018 MX 100D. Thought I would write up about my trip experience.

Facts - Boat - Open with center console, motor attached. Weight for Boat, Motor, Trailer, & Misc was approximately ~ 1700 Lbs. The boat did NOT have a cover, which I think is an important point. I also folded the Bimini top down so it was flat at the stern of the boat.

The principle point of this is the significant reduction in mileage, approximately 2x. I am fairly conservative when riding (aka Range Wimp) so I strive for 20% margin, am OK with 15%, and quite nervous with 10%. Especially with a large unknown of the effects of trailer to mileage. I typically like to run 85% down to 20%. For this trip I had to significantly expand that to 95% to 10% (even to 5%). Table with stops from ABRP (Without trailer effects for route down) In order to make some sections in the 120 to 130 mile range I had both charge to 95% (which takes a long time time) and slow down to as low as 55 MPH to ensure I got to the next charger, I seldom exceeded 65 MPH on any segment.

In short - for 100 mile segments - I could charge to 90% and run at 60-65 MPH to get there with ~15%, on longer segment charge to 95% and run at 55 to 60 MPH, Keeping a very, very close eye on the Energy chart.

15' Boston Whaler.png
DFW to Florida.png

I learned to love the Energy chart - Once I understood it, and learned to trust it, I was much more comfortable. Prior to that I was doing all the range/usage calculations in my head as to how much margin i would have at the end of the segment.

I had many hours driving to cogitate on the range impact issue. I think what I need to do to alleviate the rather massive impact on range, is to have a custom cover made to reduce the wind turbulence impact. I will be garaging the boat, so I do not need protection from the elements with this new cover, just something to flatten out the interior space. I do not want the cover to go up and over the bow rail as that would create too much impedance to the airflow (I think). Looking at a custom cover at this point.

There were NO stops with pull-through charging stations. So at each stop I had to disconnect the trailer (lock it), charge, then reconnect. Sort of OK - but to reconnect the electrical connection I had to lay on the ground (No fun in the one stop with rain). I have to fix that for the next trip with a short extension cable tied to the hitch. At three stops (with lots of empty spaces at the end) I was able to drive parallel to the end charger and reach the first charger (thereby blocking 3 chargers total with the car). Multiple other charger terminals still unused in all cases.

Twice I had to get out of the way of people on expressway entrance ramps trying (and failing) to adjust speed before the end of their entrance lane. I really, really appreciated the available torque in the car to quickly accelerate even with a 1700 lb trailer and at highway speeds. Thank you Tesla.

I went to Florida with the 7-Pin to 4-pin flat adapter cable I had used for years with my little Harbor Freight utility trailer. When I had passed papers at the sellers house, and hooked up the trailer, with the adapter, the trailer LED lights did not work - much to my chagrin. In addition the Tesla did not recognize a trailer was attached. The seller said that he had purchased a special 7-pin to 4-pin flat adapter for his VW car so the trailer LED lights would work. I tried it on my car, and the lights worked - and the Tesla recognized a trailer attached. I gave him $20 and thanked him profusely for letting me have his adapter.

I really missed the self driving capability on the ride home. I had to actually keep it between the lines, and pass - manually. How…quaint.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC