Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Train Horn in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've run Hella air horns on my Miata for close to 2 decades. They're great, but are much smaller. The compressor is smaller than a can of beer, and there are only two trumpets to mount. The fact that this cluster of trumpets has an integrated manifold may restrict where you can mount it. The air compressor/tank should have no problem being mounted inside the frunk, though you will need to route the air line to the trumpets.

You'll surely want a relay to power the compressor, switched via the normal horn circuit. Since the battery is also located up front, that should not be a problem either.

If you relay (heh) to the shop that this is normal 12v equipment and can be tied into your 12v battery and switch just like a normal ICE car, they may be more accepting of the job, but I have a feeling you'll have an issue locating the trumpets regardless. There are probably other kits with individual trumpets that would be easier to mount.

Thanks, appreciate the response and the advice.

The OP didn't say why he/she wanted this. The response to coal-rolling part came from other people in the thread wondering about reasons.

Bruce.

Lol... thanks for pointing this out, the keyboard comedians and Judge Judy's on here love to make assumptions.

So this Tesla is a promotional vehicle that we will eventually be giving away... it's currently getting an eye catching wrap in our company colors and will be driven from Cali to Texas for the F1 GP where it will be used for promotional purposes and no better way to attract peoples attentions to it than rolling up in a silent car and blasting the horn a few times.

As for the rolling coal comments, no, not interested in antagonizing 'those types' especially in Texas as not sure how the car will look with bullet holes. Moving people out the way who sit in the wrong lane for miles at 30 mph below the speed limit, maybe.

So thanks for the advice so far and for the lolz at the other posts, hilarious.

The OP didn't say why he/she wanted this. The response to coal-rolling part came from other people in the thread wondering about reasons.

Bruce.

That part of my statement wasn't necessarily focused towards the OP directly (unless this was one of his motivating factors) but more addressing the other statements in general regarding that specific reasoning of justification.

The other portions of my response, however, do apply to anyone wishing to add a train horn to a passenger car regardless of the reason they think justifies such action. It's childish and can be dangerous which is the reason it's been outlawed in many areas.

It's just sad that such laws need to be created to protect people from such reckless disregard for others. I just wish people would be a little more considerate on the front end some people wouldn't feel the need to create specific laws for such childishness.

Looking to install this into our 2012 Model S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LFFGP64?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Couple of places I've been to for the install won't touch it because its a Tesla, but seriously, is it that hard?

Thinking of locating the tank in the rear compartment of the frunk then run the horns wherever they'll fit in the front fender.

Anyone know of a Tesla owner doing this?

This post reminded me of a video I saw a few years ago about a bunch of Scandinavian dudes who installed a train air horn in a very small car then had many laughs driving around and blasting the horn to surprise people. The video is a lot of laughs.

Fitted but all hidden in the frunk - they installed a kill switch for the compressor so its not going to drain anything when not in use along with a separate button for the horn under the steering wheel. With the frunk closed its loud but not obnoxious, with it open for use at events (the frunk will be filled with merch) its insane, it actually leaves an echo as the horn sound trails off.

upload_2019-10-26_13-53-14.png