Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trak 4X4 Snow Chain Just... Fell Off!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
24k miles? When I took my previous X into service with 15k miles on the Continentals, the service manager told me my tires are worn and should get replacement. I don't even drive aggressively.

Yes, to give the Tesla some credits, the truck in front of me was drifting like crazy multiple times on a straight road w/ the hazards on all the time. It was losing control many times and I kept a big distance (I needed a lead car). Its rear tires just kept spinning and its tail swinging left and right. The SUV behind me (Toyota Highlander or something) also lost control and went to the the opposite lane on the straight road. I didn't have any of that on the straight road. I only had issue coming to a stop and 90 degree turn.

There was also a big American SUV stopping in the middle of the back road getting chains on. It must've been slipping very badly.

Do you have suspension on auto-low? I had mine previously replaced at 28k and they could have done another 2-3k miles. I had auto low off so my ride high is always medium.

Do you have suspension on auto-low? I had mine previously replaced at 28k and they could have done another 2-3k miles. I had auto low off so my ride high is always medium.
I did have it auto-low from standard. For my current one I'm on low always to minimize the acceleration shudder. Regardless I think your tires are on their last legs. I don't know if you want to use them in the snow.

There are two routes to Mountain High. You can take the 2 which heads from the east or the Big Pines Highway on the Palmdale side. I had a nail in my X the morning I was going and took my RWD 3. I took the Big Pines highway which is super windy and steep but shorter and less crowded. People were stopping everywhere to put chains on and there was a thick layer of snow and ice on the ground. The 3 handled great but wish I took my X. I legally had to put chains but I didn't and if a cop asked me I would say its an AWD and I have not received my badge yet. I did Yosemite in my old X with the contis under 5k miles and there was 3 feet of snow and it performed amazingly. I took my new X with the Pirelli 22's and it wasn't as good but still fine. If you have the right tires it makes all the difference.
IMG_5358.jpg
IMG_5331.jpg
IMG_5364.jpg
IMG_5354.jpg

Reactions: outie
Highly recommend the Pirelli Scorpion Winters. Put them on a couple of weeks ago for my trip up to Vancouver. Drive through everybody in Shasta and Grants Pass. During a huge snow storm. no slippage, solid grip. Always had all-seasons in the past, but now, don't think I can do any winter driving without snow tires.

-ThinkMac-

OK, we have a 5500 pound car with most of the weight 1 foot from the ground.
I have M+S tires (Nexen RU4, highly recommended).
I bought the Trak 4x4 chains from Tesla but have never used them (3 seasons in Mammoth so far).
Want 'em? ($400, I'll ship them to you!)
Just drive carefully and you will have no problem.
During the last storm, I followed a truck (with no chains) down the mountain.

Just checked the Tesla website, and here's what it says about the Model X snow chains:

Description
The König K-Summit K67 snow chain provides excellent traction and durability in snowy conditions. With no complex attachments, the newly upgraded design simply requires one fixing point on the outer side of the drive wheels. The fitting system has been pre-configured for either Model X 19” Wheels or Model X 20"/22" Wheels.

So it appears Tesla doesn't carry the Trak brand anymore for X. But I see why this design has slipped off the tire for some. There's no wrap-around! Every set of chains I've used for every other car installed not just on the front but also on the backside of the wheel/tire. Maybe there's a trade for ease of installation vs. reliability, but I'll take reliability every time on snow/ice. Might take a few more minutes to install, but then you're done until you decide to remove them. Never had a set of $30 chains come off a car.

Let me also weigh in here. I used the Tesla snow chains a few times and the last blizzard I went through one of them cleanly was ripped off just like the original post. I tried these and it was an absolute nightmare: Snow Tire Chain for Model X (Set for 2 Wheels)

DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE. They all fell off on a longer drive (works for 1-2 miles). I am sure I installed them correctly. One of them got lodged inside the wheel and almost damaged the suspension.

Still looking for a good chain solution. I'm running on 20" slipstreams with Conti tires. Any recommendations? The socks don't look like they will do much on very steep ice grades (of the type I encounter in Big Bear).