TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trak 4x4 Snow Chains

Discussion in 'Model X' started by dmsail, May 17, 2016.

1. dmsail

dmsail Member

A couple of weeks ago I ordered the Trak 4x4 chains for our Model X. At that time the Tesla website said that they were compatible with 19" and 20" wheels on the Model X. When I received them, the Tesla literature included with the chains said they only fit the 19" Cyclone and 20" Helix wheels. Since we have the 20" Silver Cyclone wheels the chains do not fit. I emailed Tesla online sales and brought this to their attention. Since then they have changed the shopping website to say that the chains are only compatible with the 19" Cyclone and 20" Helix wheels. This is good for future buyers of the Model X and the Trak chains, but not so good for me.

The main issue is that there is a 21 mm socket installed on the chains that are meant to fit the 21 mm lug nuts on the 19" Cyclone or 20" Helix wheels. The 20" Cyclone uses a lug nut that is larger (it seems to be 1" or about 25 mm). Does anyone know if I can SAFELY use the 21 mm lug nuts with the 20" Cyclone wheel? If so, I can just swap out the lug nuts without having to spend thousands to upgrade to the Helix wheels.

The Wheel Lock Set sold on the Tesla shopping website under the Model S tab says that it is compatible with both the Model S and the Model X. This implies that the threads are identical for all the wheels. Is that correct?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. dmsail

dmsail Member

I heard back from Tesla Online Orders:

Thank you for your patience while we verified information on your behalf. Although, the chains are only recommended for the 19” Cyclone and 20” Helix wheels, to use them with the current 20” standard wheels on your Model X, you will have to remove the lug nut cap so the 21 mm socket can directly hold the lug nut.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

I fashioned a lug nut cap remover from some sheet metal that I had laying around. It only took a couple of minutes and I was able to pop off the cap with very little force. So I think this is going to work. I will try the chains as soon as I can.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. dmsail

dmsail Member

After removing the appropriate lug nut caps, I installed the chains today and they worked great. With practice it just takes a couple of minutes to put them on and a minute to take them off. Most of the time will be spent putting them in and taking them out of the bag. Of course, the real test will be on snow and ice.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. KDrobish

KDrobish New Member

It looks like the Trak 4x4 snow chains are currently unavailable. Has anyone used other chains on the 20" wheels with the Continental tires?

5. carlshome

carlshome Member

You can purchase these exact same chains on line. The only difference is that Tesla assembles the parts for the Model X and included a Tesla specific little manual - which didn't say much. See attached photos from the set I bought from Tesla, which include the model number "LT51." You can find them on eBay for $313 with free shipping to US. I wish I had done this as it would have saved me $187.

IMG_0606.jpg IMG_0607.jpg

6. carlshome

carlshome Member

The chains I bought from Tesla came with instructions from Maggi and supplemental instructions from Tesla. I did a trail run and decided to create my own instructions, in English only, and with a type font big enough to see at night on the side of the road.

NOTE: the chains from Tesla do NOT come with a little tool to remove the plastic lug nut caps which are on the standard 20 inch silver wheels. I had to buy one on-line.

7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Link?

8. carlshome

carlshome Member