Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trak 4x4 Snow Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was about to purchase the Trak LT51s, and now the Tesla website is selling König K-Summit K67 chains for the Model X. They look very similar to the Maggi Group chains. Anyone still following this thread? Should I try to find the Konig's somewhere cheaper or go with the Trak's based on all this wonderful research above?

I was about to purchase the Trak LT51s, and now the Tesla website is selling König K-Summit K67 chains for the Model X. They look very similar to the Maggi Group chains. Anyone still following this thread? Should I try to find the Konig's somewhere cheaper or go with the Trak's based on all this wonderful research above?

I elected to go with the combined wisdom of this August group and blow off stupid Tesla who can't seem to make their website and owners manual agree on anything. Thanks to onlinespending I got the TRAXLT51's from Amazon UK and had them shipped fast for less than the cheapest I could find on US Amazon. Ordered the little tool that Carl recommended and printed out his instructions.

I was freaking out a bit since we're headed to the mountains this coming weekend but alas, it appears all the snow washed away. Now gotta see if my 2018 MX can make it 93 miles on a single charge. Right now it's using about 2 miles charge per mile, probably due to interior heating and constant wipers.. sometime living in Seattle in the winter is hard :)

Please try fitting them on your car before the return period expires. I ordered the Maggi Trak LT51’s from the Tesla website several years ago for my 2017 X which were stated to fit my tires. When I finally went to try them on the next ski season, they didn’t fit. Turns out Tesla changed the lug nut design to one that was incompatible with these chains. It took my several calls, a service center visit and finally a Tesla Ranger to figure that out. The online store description was incorrect, but I waited too long for a refund. $575 lesson learned.

I ended up getting a pair of AutoSocks instead which worked fine.

1bcd9511-889a-429e-83a2-4f7be0bdffad-jpeg.510184

Attachments

• 1BCD9511-889A-429E-83A2-4F7BE0BDFFAD.jpeg
    1BCD9511-889A-429E-83A2-4F7BE0BDFFAD.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Please try fitting them on your car before the return period expires. I ordered the Maggi Trak LT51’s from the Tesla website several years ago for my 2017 X which were stated to fit my tires. When I finally went to try them on the next ski season, they didn’t fit. Turns out Tesla changed the lug nut design to one that was incompatible with these chains. It took my several calls, a service center visit and finally a Tesla Ranger to figure that out. The online store description was incorrect, but I waited too long for a refund. $575 lesson learned.

I ended up getting a pair of AutoSocks instead which worked fine.

1bcd9511-889a-429e-83a2-4f7be0bdffad-jpeg.510184

the maggi traks fit fine on my 2018 MX with slipstreams. what doesn't fit?

There a tire chain assembly socket that’s supposed to connect to a single wheel lug. I’m holding it in the photo above. It doesn’t fit over the “newer” lugnuts. Surprised that your MX is newer than mine and yet the chains work.

I have another friend who tried them on his MX and they didn’t work for him either. Same issue.

There a tire chain assembly socket that’s supposed to connect to a single wheel lug. I’m holding it in the photo above. It doesn’t fit over the “newer” lugnuts. Surprised that your MX is newer than mine and yet the chains work.

I have another friend who tried them on his MX and they didn’t work for him either. Same issue.

my set came with three different sockets for each chain. one of them fit i don't recall which one. installed and used the chains fine no problem.

Last edited:
my set came with three different sockets for each chain. one of them fit i don't recall which one. installed and used the chains fine no problem.

Yeah. I had this same convo with Tesla, as their version only shipped with the 21 mm sockets and not the 17 or 19 mm, along with Tesla-specific instructions. But the 21mm socket was too small anyway so the others wouldn’t have helped.

Here’s another thread where folks couldn’t get their lug nuts off unless they used a 22 mm socket wrench: link, post #8

I think the simple solution for anyone else with my issue is to switch to aftermarket 21 mm lug nuts. Glad the chains worked for you out of the box tho!

Mine too. Finally got the Trak LT51s and they fit quite snugly, but I assume they'll stretch out when I use them. The 21mm socket and the red/medium bolts fit perfectly. There's a few YouTube videos on how to put the chains together. I fit one and decided I'm good to go.

Also a note about the dumb removal tool for the plastic caps: Another video I saw just said to use two small screwdrivers, which worked fine. They are not on too tight... you could probably use any kind of thing, including your fingers, assuming you could get them into the space. I had already bought the Audi removal tool, which does work great but definitely an extra cost... But now I'm set. LT51's and a magic removal tool to carry in my trunk. Just returned from the mountains today and didn't need them... the MX felt super stable and never broke loose, even in snow and ice. Love it!

So today all of the Pacific Northwest is a frozen sheet of ice. Gotta get to the airport tomorrow and started looking at my Trak LT51's again. Now, though, the documentation I found from Tran here http://www.trakonline.it/Contents/Documents/dimensioni_pneumatici.pdf suggests that the LT51's do not fit 275/45-20 (my back tires) but are sized for 265/45-20 (my front tires). Everything I've read including the Tesla owner manual said to put them on the rear tires. Am I wrong? Guessing this may be why they were snug in 2020 assuming I had them on the rears. Front actually makes more sense to me with the AWD but I'm not a mechanic. Never had an issue with the MX and my Blizzaks but today's ice is horrifying.