Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trans-Canada Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
Currently enjoying the SMOKE in Princeton, BC. Headed towards Ontario and might go as far as Nova Scotia. Curious if anyone has had the chance to do this drive yet in a Tesla. There hasn't been much opportunity since the superchargers in the Prairies didn't open till right before the pandemic broke out.

I'll be staying somewhere near Calgary tonight.

I saw a youtube video that they did the drive from vancouver ( Pacific Ocean ) to Atlantic ocean ( Halifax). I think there were 2 of them in the car , tried to do it in 72 hours , but went little over like ~75 hours. They took turns to drive over night , but is is possible and has been done using Tesla superchargers on route.
I did a drive with my brother in August 1988 from Toronto to Vancouver and back in an ICE car . No GPS, no Cell ph, AAA maps and tour book and pay phones on the way. In those days , Expectations were low so lesser chance to get disappointed.

We drove Vancouver to Niagara Falls and back at the end of June. No problems at all with charging. We might see one other car at a supercharger once you go east of Canmore Alberta. We did not see many cars until we hit Barrie Ontario.
Nice to have a selection of hotels to choose from, not so much now with borders open and people shaking off the COVID restrictions.

I saw a youtube video that they did the drive from vancouver ( Pacific Ocean ) to Atlantic ocean ( Halifax). I think there were 2 of them in the car , tried to do it in 72 hours , but went little over like ~75 hours. They took turns to drive over night , but is is possible and has been done using Tesla superchargers on route.
I did a drive with my brother in August 1988 from Toronto to Vancouver and back in an ICE car . No GPS, no Cell ph, AAA maps and tour book and pay phones on the way. In those days , Expectations were low so lesser chance to get disappointed.

Thanks for the link. I'll check this out when I get a long supercharger stop. 75 hours is nuts. Probably difficult for a sane person to cross Ontario in an EV in that amount of time :)

Reactions: Vawlkus
We drove Vancouver to Niagara Falls and back at the end of June. No problems at all with charging. We might see one other car at a supercharger once you go east of Canmore Alberta. We did not see many cars until we hit Barrie Ontario.
Nice to have a selection of hotels to choose from, not so much now with borders open and people shaking off the COVID restrictions.
Yeah even the northern plains of the US are still often like that, especially if you travel on weekdays and/or in winter. I didn't see another Tesla at a supercharger (or anywhere else for that matter) driving from WA to Howard, WI (via North Dakota) back in May. I did skip the Minneapolis area superchargers, but still...

And yeah the hotel situation in BC sucks. I almost drove through the night because of it, but then I thought better of it and snatched up a "GREAT deal" paying only 150CAD for 6.5 hours in a 1.5 star motel :) Many towns were completely sold out and 300-500/night was not uncommon for average hotel rooms. It isn't due to the open border though. I haven't even seen a single American license plate this whole time and I've actually been looking, even in hotel parking lots. I think there was a small rush of people who wanted to see family members but those people aren't really road tripping. Most of them were just traveling between the Seattle area and the Lower Mainland I guess.

Anyways, so far I swept through my previously unvisited superchargers in the Vancouver area and then went through Princeton, Kelowna, and then up to Revelstoke and over to Calgary. The smoke in the interior of BC is the worst I've ever experienced and I've experienced a lot of it the last few years! I'm not super sensitive to it but this was the first time it bothered me. Could feel it in my chest and my noise was watering all day. Also the first time where the smoke overpowered the Biodefense mode of my Model S. Normally when I run that thing you can't smell anything that's outside, but this time it still smelled smoky, just less smoky. For the drive along the water between Salmon Arm and Sicamous, I couldn't even see the water even though it's only about 100 ft. away!

Yeah even the northern plains of the US are still often like that, especially if you travel on weekdays and/or in winter. I didn't see another Tesla at a supercharger (or anywhere else for that matter) driving from WA to Howard, WI (via North Dakota) back in May. I did skip the Minneapolis area superchargers, but still...

And yeah the hotel situation in BC sucks. I almost drove through the night because of it, but then I thought better of it and snatched up a "GREAT deal" paying only 150CAD for 6.5 hours in a 1.5 star motel :) Many towns were completely sold out and 300-500/night was not uncommon for average hotel rooms. It isn't due to the open border though. I haven't even seen a single American license plate this whole time and I've actually been looking, even in hotel parking lots. I think there was a small rush of people who wanted to see family members but those people aren't really road tripping. Most of them were just traveling between the Seattle area and the Lower Mainland I guess.

Anyways, so far I swept through my previously unvisited superchargers in the Vancouver area and then went through Princeton, Kelowna, and then up to Revelstoke and over to Calgary. The smoke in the interior of BC is the worst I've ever experienced and I've experienced a lot of it the last few years! I'm not super sensitive to it but this was the first time it bothered me. Could feel it in my chest and my noise was watering all day. Also the first time where the smoke overpowered the Biodefense mode of my Model S. Normally when I run that thing you can't smell anything that's outside, but this time it still smelled smoky, just less smoky. For the drive along the water between Salmon Arm and Sicamous, I couldn't even see the water even though it's only about 100 ft. away!
I just did Vancouver-Calgary last week in my old Model 3. Was wondering how Biodefense mode would handle the smoke. I was actually quite surprised at how well my cloth face mask was able to remove the smoke smell when I was out and about.
So sad about not being able to see the mountains. I feel sorry for folks that are making the drive for the first time and missing the great scenery.
Hope you have a great journey across Canada. When I was a kid in the early 70's my family drove Ottawa to Vancouver every summer in my Dad's 200 Diesel Mercedes.
Summer of 69 for me in Osoyoo: Great Bryan Adams song as well. :)
IMG_0023.jpg

Last edited:
I just did Vancouver-Calgary last week in my old Model 3. Was wondering how Biodefense mode would handle the smoke.
You have Bioweapon Defense mode in your Model 3? Did you install an aftermarket HEPA filter?

@PLUS EV best of luck on your trip and I hope you get out of the smoke soon! How many miles do you have now on your car? And remind me; are you a Canadian citizen? I realize that now that the border is open you can come into Canada (I assume you live in Seattle based on your profile) for non-essential travel, just curious.

You have Bioweapon Defense mode in your Model 3? Did you install an aftermarket HEPA filter?

@PLUS EV best of luck on your trip and I hope you get out of the smoke soon! How many miles do you have now on your car? And remind me; are you a Canadian citizen? I realize that now that the border is open you can come into Canada (I assume you live in Seattle based on your profile) for non-essential travel, just curious.
Oops... was just replying to PlusEV's reply about his experience with Bioweapon Defense mode. Don't have it on mine.

Odometer just hit 180,000 miles.

Not a Canadian citizen.

Reactions: Big Earl
I just did Vancouver-Calgary last week in my old Model 3. Was wondering how Biodefense mode would handle the smoke. I was actually quite surprised at how well my cloth face mask was able to remove the smoke smell when I was out and about.
So sad about not being able to see the mountains. I feel sorry for folks that are making the drive for the first time and missing the great scenery.
Hope you have a great journey across Canada. When I was a kid in the early 70's my family drove Ottawa to Vancouver every summer in my Dad's 200 Diesel Mercedes.
Summer of 69 for me in Osoyoo: Great Bryan Adams song as well. :)
View attachment 696513
This was actually my 3rd time in the Kelowna/Revelstoke/etc. area. It's been smoky every single time! But this year was by far the worst. I think the other two times were in summer of 2017 and 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I went from Eastern Ontario to Fernie, BC last summer and back to Eastern Ontario. All in all I drove 9,000 km in 14 days.

Charging was never an issue, there are plenty of V3 superchargers along the Trans Canada highway. If you check plugshare, you'll even find hotels with destination chargers along the route.

I tried to get to each supercharger at like 5% SoC to benefit from the full 250 kW. Makes it cheaper since you pay by the minute and it also makes it faster.

20200708_182107_copy_1024x1820.jpg

I went from Eastern Ontario to Fernie, BC last summer and back to Eastern Ontario. All in all I drove 9,000 km in 14 days.

Charging was never an issue, there are plenty of V3 superchargers along the Trans Canada highway. If you check plugshare, you'll even find hotels with destination chargers along the route.

I tried to get to each supercharger at like 5% SoC to benefit from the full 250 kW. Makes it cheaper since you pay by the minute and it also makes it faster.

View attachment 696621
If I drive my battery down to 5% I risk my car shutting down so I won't be doing that! Fortunately I have FREE supercharging so at least there are some advantages to driving an older car :)

Do all of the provinces have that law where you can't resell electricity so they charge by the minute? It doesn't affect me but I've already had random people ask me about charging at 3 different superchargers so I might as well have the proper information to tell them. Also, how much do these cars cost up here? People keep asking me that. Seems a little direct, but probably just the folksiness of rural Canada :)

Reactions: Vawlkus
If I drive my battery down to 5% I risk my car shutting down so I won't be doing that! Fortunately I have FREE supercharging so at least there are some advantages to driving an older car :)

Do all of the provinces have that law where you can't resell electricity so they charge by the minute? It doesn't affect me but I've already had random people ask me about charging at 3 different superchargers so I might as well have the proper information to tell them. Also, how much do these cars cost up here? People keep asking me that. Seems a little direct, but probably just the folksiness of rural Canada :)

Quick price reference for curious Canadians:

Model 3 SR+ single motor starts at $53,000 CAD
Model 3 LR dual motor starts at $65,000 CAD
Model Y LR dual motor starts at $70,000 CAD
Model S LR dual motor starts at $115,000 CAD
Model X LR dual motor starts at $125,000 CAD

I'd estimate cost to charge on Superchargers at 3-4 cents per km. Cost to charge at home is probably half that. Perhaps someone can provide a better number based on their actual Supercharger bills.

Umm….. you might not make it past Quebec. NB and NS aren’t completely open yet (more so on the NS side last I heard). Definitely worth a call ahead if you want to roll this far East.
Well, passes Quebec, you have rivière du loup, then St leonard', woodstock and Fredericton, moncton, and another before Hslifax, Amherst I think. In fact, it is plenty even with a S+ during winter.
The issue would be east of halifax.