Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trans-Canada Supercharged in 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree Canuck...hope it's ready for the first deliveries of the Model 3 in Canada...would be great for owners / enthusiasts / Tesla marketing campaign to be able to say the Model 3 can be driven right across Canada imo.
Elon Musk this morning said deliveries of the Model 3 have been delayed until the end of 2018. So this means 2020 for Canada!

Nanaimo SC apparently is near completion in Westgroove Mall, as per a recent post in Western Canada thread which quoted a Facebook Tesla M3 forum.
That's great news! Certainly a positive move forward and so it appears then that the Canadian program of getting more SC's done sooner than later is happening, however, in my opinion, it will only be a handful done by Christmas!
Would be also nice to have one in Victoria!

Elon Musk this morning said deliveries of the Model 3 have been delayed until the end of 2018. So this means 2020 for Canada!
Stop posting Fake News Drone Flyer. That is for cars ordered today, not for existing pre-orders.

"This will be a long wait," Tesla CEO Elon Musk said at the company's annual shareholder conference on Tuesday. "I'm guessing if you put a deposit down now, it's probably end of next year before you get it."

Minimum 5 years away!
It's already June, half way through the year and not a single SC added yet to the current map in Canada!
We need one oh so desperately in the Ottawa region its not even funny any more!
Would be nice to drive to Ottawa from Toronto this summer using Sc's but that won't be happening!

Ahhh I drive all the time Toronto to Ottawa using SC's. I must be missing something in you comment.
Stop posting Fake News Drone Flyer. That is for cars ordered today, not for existing pre-orders.

"This will be a long wait," Tesla CEO Elon Musk said at the company's annual shareholder conference on Tuesday. "I'm guessing if you put a deposit down now, it's probably end of next year before you get it."

Give your head a shake. Do you honestly believe that Tesla can build and deliver 300,000 model 3 cars to reservation holders before the end of 2018. I really would give them credit for being able to deliver 150,000. I think Elon believes its 2018 already so next year is 2019.

Reactions: Dax279
Give your head a shake. Do you honestly believe that Tesla can build and deliver 300,000 model 3 cars to reservation holders before the end of 2018. I really would give them credit for being able to deliver 150,000. I think Elon believes its 2018 already so next year is 2019.
Are you talking to me or Drone Flyer here? I agree that they will have trouble delivering that many cars in 2018, but DF was saying that they won't deliver Model 3s until the end of 2018.

screenshot_20170528-031209-png.228677

I'd say "this year" is wishful thinking; and "minimum 5 years away" is negative thinking.

I predict by the end of 2018 it will be completed, likely around the 3rd quarter.

I think that the timetable hinges a lot on when* Canada gets the Model 3.

More sales, more Supercharger fund. They'll need a lot of Supercharger fund before they built it.

* Or if. Still lots of uncertainty.

Expect M3 to arrive in Canada about 4 months after USA.

Is that for deliveries or for demo vehicles?

X=time it takes for Tesla to submit everything necessary for Transport Canada to approve the 3.
Y= time it takes Transport Canada to approve the Model 3 for consumers.

VAR(X+Y) = VAR(X) + VAR(Y)

Since VAR(X) and VAR(Y) are both large, the range of likely values for X+Y is huge.

Reactions: mrElbe
Zero delay on demo vehicles. They can drive them in Canada with US tags. All the Roadsters they ever demo'd in Canada had US tags, as did the early Model S demos.

All the information they need for Transport Canada in terms of approving the vehicle would be available at the same time as for the US. Most of the requirements are harmonized.

There are little things like getting the English and French wording correct on the plaques (tire pressure, seat belt, air bag, that stuff), which take a little extra time. It took an extra four months to get the Model S approved by Transport Canada. I think Model X was in that range. Should be similar for Model 3.

Stop posting Fake News Drone Flyer. That is for cars ordered today, not for existing pre-orders. "This will be a long wait," Tesla CEO Elon Musk said at the company's annual shareholder conference on Tuesday. "I'm guessing if you put a deposit down now, it's probably end of next year before you get it."

Why does @wayner need to give his head a shake? When I read @Drone Flyer's post I wondered what the hell he was talking about until wayner corrected him. Your post about how many they can deliver does nothing to change the fact that Musk did not say "deliveries of the Model 3 have been delayed until the end of 2018." How many they can deliver is a separate issue from the false statement that deliveries are delayed until the end of 2018.

Thanks @wayner for correcting the misinformation.

Last edited:
Reactions: sitter_k
We need one oh so desperately in the Ottawa region its not even funny any more!
Would be nice to drive to Ottawa from Toronto this summer using Sc's but that won't be happening!

Why would that be? There are couple of Superchargers between Ottawa and Toronto. All you need is some overnight charging here in Ottawa and you're good to go.

For that matter, I did at least a dozen Ottawa/Toronto trips before there were any Superchargers.

I did tweet my question to Tesla for the shareholder meeting two days ago asking for clarification on the trans-canada tweet but they of course didn't choose it. They did get to several irrelevant/boring ones though, I noted. o_O

• Funny
Reactions: Jaff

Not Fake News Wayner! Do the math! With only so many Model 3 cars that can be made each year and the number of pre orders already, it is very clear that Canada will have to wait a very long time to get them, after the States. Perhaps not 2020 but I envision 2019 at the earliest.

The Fake News is that you said in post 41: "Elon Musk this morning said deliveries of the Model 3 have been delayed until the end of 2018.". That is not true. He never said that. I clarified what he said above.

I agree that Canada will not be first - but I would think that we will get cars in Canada 6-9 months after they start shipping them to American customers, just like the wait for the Model X.

Aren't you the guy who still says that Tesla will not open any new SuoerChargers in Canada in 2017? You are about to be proved wrong on that point as well, since the Nanaimo SC is very close to opening.

The Fake News is that you said in post 41: "Elon Musk this morning said deliveries of the Model 3 have been delayed until the end of 2018.". That is not true. He never said that. I clarified what he said above.

I agree that Canada will not be first - but I would think that we will get cars in Canada 6-9 months after they start shipping them to American customers, just like the wait for the Model X.

Aren't you the guy who still says that Tesla will not open any new SuoerChargers in Canada in 2017? You are about to be proved wrong on that point as well, since the Nanaimo SC is very close to opening.
I hope you are right! I'd like to see the Model 3 here too sooner than later. You and I should make a bet whether we see any by the end of 2018!
Very happy to see Nanaimo SC almost ready. Tempted to take a trip out there but might wait until next year when more will be in place. I would like to see one in the Victoria area too !
Glad that Tesla is building some in Canada this year but I doubt it will be anything like they envision. My guess is that only a handful will be completed here this year. In my opinion, Ottawa needs one badly! That should be the next priority along with Madoc or Tweed on highway 7 for those of us commuting to Ottawa from Toronto!

Why would that be? There are couple of Superchargers between Ottawa and Toronto. All you need is some overnight charging here in Ottawa and you're good to go.

For that matter, I did at least a dozen Ottawa/Toronto trips before there were any Superchargers.
I know there are SC's along the 401 we can use but I'd like to take a different route along highway 7 to Ottawa. Much nicer Road and it is also shorter. Doable in summer but not Winter.
A SC anywhere on 7 would be nice. Perhaps moving the proposed one in Belleville there would do!

I know there are SC's along the 401 we can use but I'd like to take a different route along highway 7 to Ottawa. Much nicer Road and it is also shorter. Doable in summer but not Winter.
A SC anywhere on 7 would be nice. Perhaps moving the proposed one in Belleville there would do!

I just did that a couple of weeks ago, from Richmond Hill, all on secondary and back road. With a shorter distance of 380KM, after the non-stop trip, I had 21% left over with starting at 98%.

Reactions: Dax279 and Falkirk