Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer Accumulated Referral Bonus to Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who have moved from a Model 3 to a Model Y, just wondering did any of your free supercharging referral bonus miles get transferred to your new Model Y? I understand that the miles are tied to a "Tesla Account" and not the car.
Also, if I was to sell my Model 3 before buying the Model Y (there may be a gap of 1-2 months), will I lose all my accmulated free supercharging referral bonus miles?
Just curious as to how it actually worked out for owners moving between Teslas
Thanks

Reactions: Cowby
I did get a response from [email protected] which they confirmed what other's have experienced. Basically the referral miles are tied to the account and not the car.

"Thank you for contacting the Tesla Referral Program. I apologize for the delayed response, and any inconvenience this may have caused. I can confirm your referral miles will remain active on this account until their expiration date."

Yes, whichever car your phone key is connected to as driver will get the free miles from your account (in actuality it is 400kWh as discussed in another thread, so it is not tied to actual miles, rated miles or any pricing, strictly how much kWh is transfered to your car).

Yes, whichever car your phone key is connected to as driver will get the free miles from your account (in actuality it is 400kWh as discussed in another thread, so it is not tied to actual miles, rated miles or any pricing, strictly how much kWh is transfered to your car).
Absolutely true... I have about 6000 miles in my account for the next 2 years whereas my wife only has 1000 miles in her account. So when I drive her car, I use my phone so it's under my miles. But I make sure I'm connecting first on my phone just in case.

I guess I could just merge the two accounts 🤷🏻‍♂️

Absolutely true... I have about 6000 miles in my account for the next 2 years whereas my wife only has 1000 miles in her account. So when I drive her car, I use my phone so it's under my miles. But I make sure I'm connecting first on my phone just in case.

I guess I could just merge the two accounts 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yep, I drove a leg of our recent trip and charged but the miles came out of her account since her phone has priority.

If you merge the two accounts do you lose the ability to earn referrals off of each other?

That is not what I’m asking. We did the two separate accounts and I referred her. If we were to merge accounts to one do referrals still work? It would be self referring and I think you’d only get 1,000 miles.
I did the same but if I were to merge the accounts, my wife's account would be free again so if she bought another one, I'd still get the referral miles and she will too. That's what I assume 🤷🏻‍♂️