Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer all settings from old Tesla to new one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I've been thinking about anything I need to do before swapping my existing Model-S for a new one.

I've put all the rubbish into a cardboard box so I can swap it over and chucked a bucket of water over the old car :)

Always thought it was disappointing that when I had a loaner all the e.g seat settings weren't able to be "copied" across. And all my preferences ...
I might take some photos of things to remind myself about them.

Anyone come across a checklist somewhere of the things to note ?

TeslaFi settings - am I going to be able to keep all my schedules and just "transfer" to the new car?

And keep all my existing [TeslaFi] data? or do I need to download that?

Anything I need to do to de-register from existing car?

Should I do a factory-reset when i take the car to Tesla just to make sure that home-location in SatNav etc. doesn't get left behind or anything like that?

Or maybe manually delete items first and then factory reset? Dunno how paranoid I should be ...

Definitely do a factory reset when you get there, the trade in staff never went out to look at the car (in fact they asked me to do the Factory Reset)

Car was gone to Auction/similar that day

I should have taken the 32AMP UMC Commando adaptor (UMC Gen 2 only comes with 16 AMP Skinny Commando) ...could have taken the UMC too ...

Don't leave anything in the car ... check:

armrest cupholders
under the USB charger flap thingie
Glove compartment
Lower luggage space in boot, and cubby holes on both sides (one side if Woofer fitted)
Frunk

I took photos of all the settings pages, Spotify favourites, etc. etc. on the old car, ditto on the new car before I started fiddling with anything (so I had a reference for Ground Zero if I need it)

With benefit of hindsight:

Set up just the primary driver profile name (first ... the Select List is in creation order)
Set all preference settings (e.g. headlights auto-dip)
Only then set up second/subsequent Profiles. They will all get the "current" settings initially, so assumption would be that whatever you choose is most likely a better starting place for Spouse/others

TeslaFi was easy - on Settings : Account change Vehicle Model and choose Car Name from dropdown (I suppose if new car is given the same name that might not be necessary) and TeslaFi just starts adding the data for the new car to the old data. Not sure there is an obvious divide / ability to search for one/other (Odometer makes it obvious ...)

The Tesla is the only car I don't have a vanity plate on ... wish I did ...

Dartford Crossing toll
London Congestion Charge (presumably lost the remainder of my annual £10 sub, and have all the delay before getting V5 and then getting TfL to process the form ... I don't go into London much, but Proper Hassle for anyone that does)
ALL the blessed Car Parking APPs I have accumulated

Probably others like that to stumble over and get fined on as time goes on ...

• Informative
Reactions: nikhon