Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to have Tesla transfer my homelink from my old model 3 that I still have before I sell it so I can keep the homelink on the new one? I have a service appointment already booked to get some other things taken care of just wondering if it was a possibility. I’d rather not have to pay the $300 again if I already have the unit and just need it transferred to the new car.

anyone ever done this?

Cheers

Is it possible to have Tesla transfer my homelink from my old model 3 that I still have before I sell it so I can keep the homelink on the new one? I have a service appointment already booked to get some other things taken care of just wondering if it was a possibility. I’d rather not have to pay the $300 again if I already have the unit and just need it transferred to the new car.

anyone ever done this?

Cheers

Yes. I installed the Homelink module from my Model X (the 3, X and Y use the same HL module) to my Model Y.
And paid my local service center $97 for programming the function.

Before doing this I tested (the HL module from X) on my Model 3 (that has HL module/function) - and found that it works. So when I got my Model Y - I installed the HL module from the X. Paid 1/2 hour labor ($97) for the SC to program the HL function.

The HL module is from my totaled 2019 Model X.
Homelink
Homelink (Invoice)

Last edited:
This has me wondering so much about the trade-in process for my '19 M3P to the '21... I'd love to transfer HomeLink, and the console organizer that they cut last year; do they expect the mobile charger and the J1772 adapter and more all present? They only say car, keys, etc.

Mostly annoyed that when I bought last time HomeLink was included and I have to spend $300 on it this time around.

This has me wondering so much about the trade-in process for my '19 M3P to the '21... I'd love to transfer HomeLink, and the console organizer that they cut last year; do they expect the mobile charger and the J1772 adapter and more all present? They only say car, keys, etc.

Mostly annoyed that when I bought last time HomeLink was included and I have to spend $300 on it this time around.
Even more annoying is it won't be delivered with HomeLink and you have setup an appointment to get it installed.

I agree, it should come preinstalled in the car like it does on the S and X however buying a car for $52,000, I really don't think $300 is a deal breaker. It includes a guy coming to the house and doing the install and software set up for you. Took 50 min to do my car. If they had the same car on the website for $52,300 which you have changed your mind on the purchase?

The price of the car has dropped more than $300 (or, Autopilot is now included), so people who say this really confuse me.

it would be like me complaining about the $300 if I sold my 2018 model 3 performance and bought a 20201 version, but my car had a MSRP of 71k after options, and the same car now has a MSRP of 65k I think.

If that includes removal and reinstall of the physical unit (not just programming) that is a very good deal.

Would be interesting to hear what the service center is actually quoting for the $132. Thats not even 1 hour labor charge for tesla where I am. If that includes removal, re install, and re programing, thats a great deal.

It was transfer and instal and programme of the homelink, but they were going to do it the same time I will be having a mobile appointment for fixing issues found on delivery of the new one . Both cars will be there next to each other so a pretty quick swap being they’re already there to do the transfer.

It was transfer and instal and programme of the homelink, but they were going to do it the same time I will be having a mobile appointment for fixing issues found on delivery of the new one . Both cars will be there next to each other so a pretty quick swap being they’re already there to do the transfer.
It will take well over an hour of labor (you actually have to remove the bumper cover - which probably isn't part of your delivery issues) so, as a couple of us have said, you are getting a great deal.

the ranger that installed mine didn't remove the bumper. he just removed some fasteners, pulled it forward a bit, reached in and installed it. he was at my house for less than 30 minutes total. Updating the sw took longer. he asked if I was comfortable resetting it when the update was done so he could leave. I said sure, thanked him and he was on his way. he said he has done hundreds of these and had it down to a science. he was right.

unless they have an issue removing the old one I could easily see an experienced ranger doing this in under an hour.

Removing the bumper would be a deal-breaker to me, since it's very easy to break fender clips that you'd never know about initially, but eventually cause issues, especially if high speeds are involved. Having said that, I was very glad to hear about 2 new options, which I'd research upon actually having the car.

• Funny
Reactions: Dolemite
Removing the bumper would be a deal-breaker to me, since it's very easy to break fender clips that you'd never know about initially, but eventually cause issues, especially if high speeds are involved. Having said that, I was very glad to hear about 2 new options, which I'd research upon actually having the car.
I’ve had to have a headlight replaced twice and they had to remove the bumper both times.