Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer Model 3 to a Friend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi guys, I have a reservation from day 1, not yet invited to configure but probably soon. I have a Model X and even though I would like to keep my Model 3 reservation , a friend of mine is kinda desperate for me to transfer my reservation to him. I know that Tesla doesn't allow this directly, is there a way for me to buy the car under his name ? I don't want to profit or anything from the sale, just want his name on the title not mine, that way the car will only have 1 owner. Is there a way to do this ? and how does the 7,500$ Credit work under these circumstances ? thanks in advace for the help.
Thanks for reaching out. Just wanted to follow up on your inquiry regarding the Model 3 Reservations. Definitely understand your concern and we appreciate the support you have for us. The reservations are non-transferable and we wouldn’t be able to put the reservation under someone else’s name. Moving forward, we thank you for the feedback you have given and it will help us improve our customer experience. We look forward to delivering your Model 3 as soon as possible! Let me know if you have any further questions, I’d be happy to assist.

Best,
Gimo Tolentino I North American Inside Sales Advisor

Reactions: Vern Padgett
;)
Yes, pretty much same situation. I am an owner of a Model S P90D. I stayed in line in Santa Monica and charged $1,000 to my credit card for the reservation. I "configured" the Model 3 as per my wife preferences, and entered her name as the title holder, her driver license and her car insurance. I paid the non-refundable $2,500 by credit card. My wife traded-in her Hyunday Elantra which she owned title to personally and that was credited for $8,500 on the balance as per Carmax matched quote. 3 days before delivery I paid the balance by ACH from my Chase bank account. My wife name was on the "welcome" at delivery in Marina del Rey.

Substitute "friend" to "spouse" and the process will be the same.
So could a guy be your spouse if your a guy with a different last name?;):D:rolleyes:

Technically same sex marriage in CA would allow that. You don't have to change your last name upon marriage if you choose to remain the maiden name. What would you do if Tesla asks for a marriage certificate?
I was trying to be funny but guessed that didn't work!! I really don't think they are going to ask anything...had a buddy do it. Said brother-in-law;)

So-- I have a related question-- I stood in line 3/31/2016 and reserved a 3, then bought an S, and want to give the 3 to my daughter.

What is simplest-- to register it in both our names, or, my name, and then later, transfer it to her?

I'm leaning towards putting both our names on the docs.

Any drawbacks to either approach?

Reactions: bhzmark
So-- I have a related question-- I stood in line 3/31/2016 and reserved a 3, then bought an S, and want to give the 3 to my daughter.

What is simplest-- to register it in both our names, or, my name, and then later, transfer it to her?

I'm leaning towards putting both our names on the docs.

Any drawbacks to either approach?
Vern when you go to configure the last page allows you to place a name or names...up to you how you do it... tax benefits to you or your daughter... You don't have to register to yourself.. hope this helps.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
This was the experience of my coworker who had the reservation but where his sister-in-law bought the car instead. From his account of the proceedings, it apparently wouldn’t have mattered whether she was related or not.

- He let his sister-in-law configure the car; she was then able to use her own credit card to make the $2,500 payment to confirm.
- He didn't have to be a registrant at all. She entered her info as the sole registrant and uploaded copies of her driver's license and insurance.
- All communications - by email and by phone from the inside sales service center in Las Vegas - were still to my coworker who coordinated it all the way to delivery day.
- The day before the delivery, he worked with the inside sales advisor to transfer the car (which has a VIN at this point, of course) from his account to her account. This needed to happen before taking delivery in order to unlock and drive the car with the app on her phone.
- He accompanied her to the delivery but, there was really no need to. She brought along a cashier's check for the balance.

- The day before the delivery, he worked with the inside sales advisor to transfer the car (which has a VIN at this point, of course) from his account to her account. This needed to happen before taking delivery in order to unlock and drive the car with the app on her phone.

This is the piece I've been waiting to hear. Changing data in a reservation of a non-owner is easy, how to get a car out of a current owner to someone else is what I wasn't sure how to do.

interesting post...I talked with tesla about my grandfather, and they said I would have to be on the registration then i would have to re register it to get my name off of the title, (which is a sales transaction), however it seems non off this is necessary and there really is no issue. and yes I am able to configure right now if i want to, i got invited to configure back in Nov.