Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of ownership for 2016 MS 90d app question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the instant transfer of ownership works for a 2016 Model S 90D? I'm in the process of buying one from private seller and would like to be able to use the app as soon as possible. Also, do I need the app to use the free supercharging? Thanks.

If the car has unlimited free supercharging, then having app access would not be necessary. I have a mid-2016 MS90D and actually do not even have a valid credit card attached to my account currently and still supercharge without issue. The one thing you would lose by not having app access is being able to see estimated time to finish charging, notifications about charging nearing completion, then the complete and idle fees might be accruing. If you plan on staying with/near the car while it charges that's not a big deal.

I do not have personal experience with ownership transfer so cannot help you with that side of your question.

Hello, thanks for letting me know. I actually was able to transfer the car onto my Tesla account right away and have the app working. I also do not have a credit card attached but am able to use all functions and also have premium connectivity. Only thing I noticed is that the app does not have any info on basic autopilot. The previous owner didnt activate this.

Hello, thanks for letting me know. I actually was able to transfer the car onto my Tesla account right away and have the app working. I also do not have a credit card attached but am able to use all functions and also have premium connectivity. Only thing I noticed is that the app does not have any info on basic autopilot. The previous owner didnt activate this.
There are a couple situations you will run into where you'll likely need to associate a credit card with the account.

One is you accrue any idle fees at a supercharger. Initially you could get by with that and they would just request payment next time you used service, but not sure how quickly they will limit you without a card if you do incur any fee.

Second is when you do have any service performed. That now it pay via card on file through your account.

I've not had to do any service for a year, and since that time my primary credit card was replaced (expired). I decided to jjust remove it from my account versus associate my new card expiration details. I'll need to do that the next time I need service, but until then, I prefer not limiting card info saved on 3rd party servers as much as possible.