Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of Ownership Process - Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2015 MS 85 from a small independent non-Tesla dealer. They knew very little about EVs because they normally sell trucks, but the dealer was selling the Tesla on behalf of his neighbor. The previous owner didn’t know what free supercharging even was, but I have every indication that it does have SC01. We plugged it in and it said “no recent supercharging” and showed no dollar amounts.

I own the car as of this morning and already sent Tesla my temp registration and license to claim ownership. I received an email saying that my request was received and they’d be reaching out to her. I don’t mind waiting the 3-5 business days as noted.

My questions are:
1. If I “claim ownership” and she confirms it via email, does her SC01 transfer to me? Or does SHE have to initiate the transfer for that to happen?

2. Is it too late for her to initiate the transfer on her end (assuming I can get ahold of her) now that I’ve begun the “claim ownership” process?

Her info is still on the car, so does that mean that she hasn’t removed the car from her account? I don’t want to wipe it until I know whether or not the supercharging transferred. I’m reading that with face to face private sales, this transfer takes minutes. Since I don’t have direct communication with her, I have no idea if she’s even opened the email.

If you have any answers, I’d be grateful!

I've not done this myself, but I'll relate my understanding.

If what Tesla sees the car transfer is moving direct from the prior owner, with her acknowledgement, then I believe the free supercharging should transfer over.

I do not know if there's a sequencing option where she can from her account indicate transfer to you or if you're starting this already shuts that off. If she can still see the transfer ownership option in her account, then I think it's still worth a try for her to initiate it. But as you acknowledge, but this may be difficult without direct contact with her. Can your contact/her neighbor broker a direct communication from you to her?

Your question around still seeing her information. Are you referring to things like maybe her address being saved as "home", navigation history, her wifi / phone pairing, etc actually in the car? If so, that just means she did not a factory reset to clear all her info before turning over the car. Doing a factory reset should have no impact on how Tesla views the car ownership on their end. There are cases where Tesla has suggested owners do this to try and clear up software glitches, etc. Other option is you just clear selective data without doing a reset. Delete driver profiles, reset the home location, unpair her phone, reset the homelink channels to your opener, etc. Will take more time to do it item by item, but that's a way to clean out data you see in the car.

Honestly, I see you're doing her a favor by doing that. One of the types of situations many people don't necessarily think about these days in clearing information before they transfer ownership of electronic products.

Upvote 0
I just bought a 2015 MS 85 from a small independent non-Tesla dealer. They knew very little about EVs because they normally sell trucks, but the dealer was selling the Tesla on behalf of his neighbor. The previous owner didn’t know what free supercharging even was, but I have every indication that it does have SC01. We plugged it in and it said “no recent supercharging” and showed no dollar amounts.

I own the car as of this morning and already sent Tesla my temp registration and license to claim ownership. I received an email saying that my request was received and they’d be reaching out to her. I don’t mind waiting the 3-5 business days as noted.

My questions are:
1. If I “claim ownership” and she confirms it via email, does her SC01 transfer to me? Or does SHE have to initiate the transfer for that to happen?

2. Is it too late for her to initiate the transfer on her end (assuming I can get ahold of her) now that I’ve begun the “claim ownership” process?

Her info is still on the car, so does that mean that she hasn’t removed the car from her account? I don’t want to wipe it until I know whether or not the supercharging transferred. I’m reading that with face to face private sales, this transfer takes minutes. Since I don’t have direct communication with her, I have no idea if she’s even opened the email.

If you have any answers, I’d be grateful!
I was able to transfer ownership of a 2016 in January without sending Tesla any paperwork. The previous owner just logged into his Tesla account on his computer and did the transfer by putting my email. I received a confirmation email which I accepted and the car showed up in my app within a few minutes. Free supercharging and premium connectivity transferred over to me with no issues.

Reactions: Wol747
Upvote 0