Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of ownership using app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking ownership of a private seller's Tesla tomorrow. I have a Tesla account and I am trying to add the vehicle to it via the website. It asks for my address, but the car isn't registered to me yet. I won't have the registration or title for weeks since I had to pay off the seller's lien and will be waiting on his bank to send the title.

Today, the seller sent me an email saying he was starting the transfer process. He screenshot a "transfer ownership" screen on his computer, where it asks him for my account information.

If he does this, can I get access to the app/car without the registration? On my Tesla account, when I go to the "add a car to your account" button, there's a hyperlink that says "For expedited account transfer of Your Vehicle the previous owner can help, click here." But when I click on that link, it takes me to a generic FAQ about adding a car that says nothing about how the prior owner can help.

So how can I get access to the app without a title? And how can the previous owner help?

I'm taking ownership of a private seller's Tesla tomorrow. I have a Tesla account and I am trying to add the vehicle to it via the website. It asks for my address, but the car isn't registered to me yet. I won't have the registration or title for weeks since I had to pay off the seller's lien and will be waiting on his bank to send the title.

Today, the seller sent me an email saying he was starting the transfer process. He screenshot a "transfer ownership" screen on his computer, where it asks him for my account information.

If he does this, can I get access to the app/car without the registration? On my Tesla account, when I go to the "add a car to your account" button, there's a hyperlink that says "For expedited account transfer of Your Vehicle the previous owner can help, click here." But when I click on that link, it takes me to a generic FAQ about adding a car that says nothing about how the prior owner can help.

So how can I get access to the app without a title? And how can the previous owner help?
Have the seller remove the car from his Tesla account.

Have the seller remove the car from his Tesla account.
Hopefully I caught this in time...

No, do NOT do this.

Have the seller add you as an user with your first name, last name and email address. This way you can access almost everything you'll need from your app. You won't have roadside assistance or the ability to schedule an appointment from the app but that's about it. You can still call the 800 # for roadside should you need it and if you have the bill of sale they'll take care of you. You then need to get a temporary registration from your DMV using your bill of sale and proof of insurance. Then you create a Tesla account and submit your temporary registration and drivers license front and back. It will tell you up to 72-hours to process but I just did it a couple of weeks ago and it took a week. I've had it take up to two weeks. If the seller clicks "remove car" this can take a bit too but then you won't have access once it processes and you're just in the dark on your car until they process your transfer of ownership.

Hopefully I caught this in time...

No, do NOT do this.

Have the seller add you as an user with your first name, last name and email address. This way you can access almost everything you'll need from your app. You won't have roadside assistance or the ability to schedule an appointment from the app but that's about it. You can still call the 800 # for roadside should you need it and if you have the bill of sale they'll take care of you. You then need to get a temporary registration from your DMV using your bill of sale and proof of insurance. Then you create a Tesla account and submit your temporary registration and drivers license front and back. It will tell you up to 72-hours to process but I just did it a couple of weeks ago and it took a week. I've had it take up to two weeks. If the seller clicks "remove car" this can take a bit too but then you won't have access once it processes and you're just in the dark on your car until they process your transfer of ownership.

Too late. He hit remove car, but he also did something that added me, I think. I was sent an email saying, "Your model 3 has been added to your account." All he had to do was remove himself and put in my name and email.

Will this give me app access, or do I still need to reach out to Tesla?

Too late. He hit remove car, but he also did something that added me, I think. I was sent an email saying, "Your model 3 has been added to your account." All he had to do was remove himself and put in my name and email.

Will this give me app access, or do I still need to reach out to Tesla?

It should give you access but there's also the chance that at any moment Tesla may process his request to remove it from his account which would also revoke your access. Let's just hope that this Tesla's "Remove car" process isn't quicker than their "add new car" process in this instance.

Getting access is more of a temporary thing and you still want to make creating a Tesla account and getting them the documents they require to add that car to your account top priority as it will likely take a week and possibly as many as two in my experience.

Side question: Does the new owner have full access to all the past service records? (I'm buying from a good friend this week and don't want to pester for records if they'll all be there for me to see.) I can't image Tesla would withhold any of the car's service history.

It is very straight forward. Sold my car and transferred in 2 minutes to new owner.
Current owner need to provide email buyer and both parties need to reconfirm several time.
After the seller confirms again in the car and does factory reset the car is transferred.

Reactions: Plood
It is very straight forward. Sold my car and transferred in 2 minutes to new owner.
Current owner need to provide email buyer and both parties need to reconfirm several time.
After the seller confirms again in the car and does factory reset the car is transferred.
At what point does the multiple confirm steps happen?

At what point does the multiple confirm steps happen?
Was a year ago. Think he tried to take over car by indicating my email (used for Tesla account). I had to confirm in app and also in car. The moment the car was seen in his account we had to go to car and do factory reset. After that my app did not have the car anymore. All took 5 minutes.

Reactions: Nexeus