Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On behalf of my neighbor who is buying myTesla, I submitted the change of ownership question on my account page using the “request help” tab. Next morning I received an email from Tesla stating the following

“Thank you for reaching out regarding the ownership change of your Tesla. Please have the new owner log in to their Tesla account, select manage in the upper right hand corner and when they scroll down they will see a tab marked "Ownership - add a car to your account". Have them click on that and they will then upload their ownership documents and info and submit that to be approved. Once approved the new owner will receive a welcome confirmation email. This can take about 3-5 business days to complete.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions and I'd be happy to help.”

I hope this is helpful.

Hi. I recently bought a used 2018 Model S through a 3rd party dealer and have been trying to figure out how to register it with Tesla. As mentioned by Scott in the last post to this thread, I registered a Tesla account online, and went to the "Ownership - add a car to your account" screen. However, after I upload the registration and front/back of my driver's license png photo files, I get an error message that reads "Unable to process request. Please try again later." The problem is that I get that message EVERY TIME for the past 2 weeks so I don't think it's a load problem. Going to a Tesla dealer and speaking to a salesperson is no help. They told me I had to email Tesla at "[email protected]" but the email bounced. HELP!!!

Hi. I recently bought a used 2018 Model S through a 3rd party dealer and have been trying to figure out how to register it with Tesla. As mentioned by Scott in the last post to this thread, I registered a Tesla account online, and went to the "Ownership - add a car to your account" screen. However, after I upload the registration and front/back of my driver's license png photo files, I get an error message that reads "Unable to process request. Please try again later." The problem is that I get that message EVERY TIME for the past 2 weeks so I don't think it's a load problem. Going to a Tesla dealer and speaking to a salesperson is no help. They told me I had to email Tesla at "[email protected]" but the email bounced. HELP!!!
A year ago, I used [email protected]

Try "[email protected]" and see if that works. I don't think they use the @teslamotors.com domain for email once they migrated over to Office 365/Outlook for their corporate email.

If you're in North America, the email address is, [email protected]. I emailed them about 3 weeks ago and got a response asking for documentation and they said 3-5 days to process once they validate. It's been 3 weeks since I sent the requested documents and still no dice. At least I know I have the right email address...
Are you able to use the superchargers? I sold my Model S to a neighbor and wonder if they will be able to,

However, after I upload the registration and front/back of my driver's license png photo files, I get an error message that reads "Unable to process request. Please try again later." The problem is that I get that message EVERY TIME for the past 2 weeks so I don't think it's a load problem. HELP!!!

Upload these documents on JPG file format, not PNG and see if this helps...

Hey guys, I’ve been struggling with this for over a month now☹️ I keep on getting the same error upon submitting in Tesla’s website and tried to send emails to the following address but with no response for over 2 weeks now:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I went to Tesla here and they sent an email before 2 weeks now and still no response....
This is totally frustrating and I don’t know what to do...

Hey guys, I’ve been struggling with this for over a month now☹️ I keep on getting the same error upon submitting in Tesla’s website and tried to send emails to the following address but with no response for over 2 weeks now:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I went to Tesla here and they sent an email before 2 weeks now and still no response....
This is totally frustrating and I don’t know what to do...

Try [email protected]. Purchased my car from a 3rd party dealership in June and got the change of ownership done in one day after some pushing and a call to Customer Service, who were very helpful. They told me to use that address and here's the instructions they sent:

CustomerSupport <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for contacting Tesla regarding your new car.

To add this car to your Tesla Account, please provide the following documents and information:
  • Color copy or photo of your current driver’s license or state/province ID.
  • Copy or photo of your title or registration.
  • If registering under a business, please include your business card with your name and name of the business
  • Email address you would like linked to your Tesla Account (your Tesla Account email if you have an existing account)
  • Full VIN
  • Home or mailing address
  • Phone number
  • Was your vehicle purchased from a private party or 3rd party dealership?
Please note: the name on the title or registration must match the ID provided.

Once we receive the information, allow up to 3 to 5 business to complete the transfer. We will notify you by email once the transfer is complete.

Try [email protected]. Purchased my car from a 3rd party dealership in June and got the change of ownership done in one day after some pushing and a call to Customer Service, who were very helpful. They told me to use that address and here's the instructions they sent:

CustomerSupport <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for contacting Tesla regarding your new car.

To add this car to your Tesla Account, please provide the following documents and information:
  • Color copy or photo of your current driver’s license or state/province ID.
  • Copy or photo of your title or registration.
  • If registering under a business, please include your business card with your name and name of the business
  • Email address you would like linked to your Tesla Account (your Tesla Account email if you have an existing account)
  • Full VIN
  • Home or mailing address
  • Phone number
  • Was your vehicle purchased from a private party or 3rd party dealership?
Please note: the name on the title or registration must match the ID provided.

Once we receive the information, allow up to 3 to 5 business to complete the transfer. We will notify you by email once the transfer is complete.
Tried using the above email but this is what I get for a response☹️☹️the email is no longer monitored

Attachments

• DF4120D6-A8F1-4FCE-826B-6ADBAA9D9F8A.jpeg
    DF4120D6-A8F1-4FCE-826B-6ADBAA9D9F8A.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 321
I was in the same situation and kept getting the "Unable to Process" message. The trick is to provide all your information in the profile section, including your credit card info and then go back and redo the "Claim your ownership" process. It went through immediately and I got a confirmation email advising that the transfer would be completed in 3-5 business days. Hope that helps! Cheers.