Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of personalized plate [in CA]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I bought my model 3 a week ago and as part of the purchase, I chose to transfer my personalized plate to the Model 3. As part of the delivery, I saw the paperwork from Tesla about transferring my existing plate to my new model 3. It may be a dumb question but can I put the plates in my model 3 or have to wait for the registration to come before I can put it on.

Cheers,
Dinesh

You have to wait until you get your new registration because your personalized plates will still be registered to your old car until the DMV processes your plate transfer.

Also I wouldn't count on Tesla to do your plate transfer for you, I provided all the information they needed to do my plate transfer and they didn't do mine. I had to fill out a REG 17 and mail it into the DMV with a check. I received my updated registration about 6-7 weeks later.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Thanks for the responses. For the life of me, I am not able to find the documents that Tesla sent that had the DMV registration and DMV plate transfer. I clearly remember the personalized plate transfer form (DMV one) being part of the documents that Tesla provided. But I cant find it in either the glovebox or in my emails. The one time where I didn't download all the documents thinking I will be able to access it in my account is when I needed it.

Thanks for the responses. For the life of me, I am not able to find the documents that Tesla sent that had the DMV registration and DMV plate transfer. I clearly remember the personalized plate transfer form (DMV one) being part of the documents that Tesla provided. But I cant find it in either the glovebox or in my emails. The one time where I didn't download all the documents thinking I will be able to access it in my account is when I needed it.
dineshgoundar, I just had the exact same experience. Were you ever able to find the REG-17 form again? And did Tesla submit the form for you, or did you have to submit it yourself?