Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer of Unlimited Supercharging if car is totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

focher

Oct 15, 2013
Bay Area
I'm asking in the Model S forum because that model has been on the market longest...

Has anyone experienced a situation where their car has been totaled in an accident, and if you ordered a replacement that wasn't eligible for unlimited Supercharging that Tesla transferred the benefit to the new car? It's very much a "good will" maneuver if they were to do it, so just wondering if there's precedence.

I'm asking in the Model S forum because that model has been on the market longest...

Has anyone experienced a situation where their car has been totaled in an accident, and if you ordered a replacement that wasn't eligible for unlimited Supercharging that Tesla transferred the benefit to the new car? It's very much a "good will" maneuver if they were to do it, so just wondering if there's precedence.

Dunno if you will find many examples yet, since the unlimited supercharging program via referral is still valid thru today. So anyone replacing a Model S with another S would just self-refer for the supercharging.

When I totaled my Model S, it had the legacy unlimited lifetime supercharging which was tied to the VIN. The person who bought it at auction is the one who technically has the free supercharging now. I did not get free supercharging on my replacement 3LR and I would not expect the supercharging to transfer.

Reactions: P85_DA
Fair enough and I wouldn't think Tesla would transfer it in that scenario. I'm specifically in the situation where I'm looking to "total" the car from an accident, a Model 3 Performance, and order an equivalent replacement.

My guess is - not likely - as they are probably counting on this attrition to naturally reduce the number of cars at the super chargers as they get totalled/ written off.

Also each totaled car increases profitability a little bit as their responsibility to that car for lifetime supercharging goes away.

Fair enough and I wouldn't think Tesla would transfer it in that scenario. I'm specifically in the situation where I'm looking to "total" the car from an accident, a Model 3 Performance, and order an equivalent replacement.

Doubt this will happen as accident was no fault of Tesla ..if u order an S X with my referral code I will give u wheels though :oops:

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
I got my S a little over a year ago, I was told that the free supercharging would stay with me and not follow the the car when I sold it. I understand any Tesla I get in the future will inherit my unlimited free supercharging.

I got my S a little over a year ago, I was told that the free supercharging would stay with me and not follow the the car when I sold it. I understand any Tesla I get in the future will inherit my unlimited free supercharging.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:...first I have ever heard of this ...sorry to say that was totally incorrect info given to u ;)

That was an offer that would stay with you on any new s/x until end of 2017. It was right after they changed from supercharging for the life of the car to supercharging for the first owner of the car.

As an existing owner of a Model X and 2 Model 3s, I will take those wheels for myself!

Glad to be part of the collective.

Dibs on at least half a wheel!

And just to stay on topic, they normally wouldn't transfer your free supercharging to a new car. But really anything is possible. I would definitely give a shot if my car were totalled in a hail storm or something. I know it's going to happen sometime.

Honestly, when I ordered the car there was no promise of free lifetime supercharging. They added it as a freebie before the car was delivered, so I still feel lucky to have it. The uncorking was another unexpected freebie.

The free lifetime charging is more of a percieved value than a true one. If I drove 10,000 miles a year on trips using superchargers, and if electricity is $0.18 per KWH, and I use 350WH per mile, I'd spend about $630 per year on electricity. 10,000 miles per year is far more than I'll drive on trips. My benefit is probably closer to $200. There are some ignored parameters, the charging isn't 100% efficient, I usually use less than 350WH per mile, etc. still the perceived benefit is far more than the actual cost to Tesla. Tesla gets a lot of press for this. They don't need to spend money on advertising.

If the free lifetime supercharging sells the more expensive cars, I think they would be nuts to scrap it.

If congestion at superchargers is a problem, then they might consider charging owners for supercharger use within 100 miles of the owner's home. That way they could still offer the value of free long distance travel but they'd discourage use of nearby superchargers. Assuming people travel the same amount on long distance trips, they'll be using the superchargers a similar amount whether they pay or not so the congestion issue shouldn't really affected by the long distance travel.

I think the free long distance supercharger use was an absolutely brilliant move on Tesla's part. I'll be surprised if they don't continue it. Discontinuing it and bringing it back gets more press than leaving the program in place, maybe that is part of the plan.

I'd like to keep my car a long time. Our cars are generally 20 years old or so when we replace them. We currently have an '04 Honda and a ‘98 Camry. We still think of the ‘04 Honda as our “new” van. We put about 200,000 miles on them. I do some amateur astronomy, I'd like to put 250,000 miles on the cars. That's the distance to the Moon.

As far as the free supercharging staying with me and not the car, I'd seen it when there wasn't a 2017 deadline, so I'd thought it was lifetime for me with Tesla's. I don't know what they are thinking, are they figuring I'll replace the car within 7 months of buying it? If they initially promised me “lifetime”, I'd expect them to honor it. As a man in his 60's, it is probably moot for me, though, if I keep cars for 20 years, this one will probably see me through.

Reactions: P85_DA
Dibs on at least half a wheel!

And just to stay on topic, they normally wouldn't transfer your free supercharging to a new car. But really anything is possible. I would definitely give a shot if my car were totalled in a hail storm or something. I know it's going to happen sometime.

So if you moved fast enough (which I did not) - you may have got that deal. Is it in the owner details on MyTesla - as opposed to the vehicle details?

I know this topic is old, but any update with your situation to confirm that Tesla did not transfer the free unlimited Supercharging for you out of good will? I assume it was totaled by now. I'm asking because I'm in a similar situation - my Model 3 Performance got wrecked, and I'm not at fault for the accident caused by the other driver. Also, did the insurance company valued the free unlimited Supercharging and at what value?

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02
I know this topic is old, but any update with your situation to confirm that Tesla did not transfer the free unlimited Supercharging for you out of good will? I assume it was totaled by now. I'm asking because I'm in a similar situation - my Model 3 Performance got wrecked, and I'm not at fault for the accident caused by the other driver. Also, did the insurance company valued the free unlimited Supercharging and at what value?
It became a non-issue because they offered the $5k refund, which I took. The car was repaired and I made a Diminished Value claim against the at-fault driver, which was paid by their insurance.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
if accident was not your fault, you could figure how many miles you would have put on car (lifetime of ownership) and figure cost of the miles and charge that to the insurance claim of the other person...that might be your only recourse...