Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer time(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen this kind of answered. Figured a dedicated threat might be easier.

Looking to see (I don’t want to assume is perfectly synced with grid) when a drop of utility powe happens. what has your actual experience been with the transfer. Ie a blink of lights, or not even that. The. Pop up notification via app off grid?

(Sorry for typos - on iPhone)

Last edited:
For my installation with the backup option installed:

1. In Self-powered mode (normal) and grid fails no disruptions to computer or other power sensitive equipment
2. In Backup-only mode and grid fails, there is a delay of some seconds and all computer and other equipment stops

I have chosen to not use backup-only mode again and will raise the Reserve level to somewhere near 90-95% should the need arise :)

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Typically, I'm seeing zero interruption in self-consumption mode with grid loss, and maybe a few A/C cycles of power loss in backup-only mode. It's usually not enough for any equipment to reset, but the lights do flicker. I am keeping some equipment on a UPS.

There's no notification of grid loss.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Thanks -

That answered my question because I’ve read responses from nothing up to a few seconds and was confusing those two modes.

I’m looking as backup mode only and this matches well with my current setup with my Honda gen. I have smaller 4KW PV array that pays 2x more than local rate with separate meter for another decade so don’t want to tie that In.

When I purchased this house it came with manual transfer switch / generator hookup. I went with a Honda Eu6500 which covers my power needs during my local outages (and unfortunalty get those 1-3x a year due to location outside of city). Thinking 1 PW would give me enough power/run time to buy 6-12 hours to move over to generator when needed in front of PW and let the PW start to re-charge up while on generator until my tank empties again after 6-12 hours of running kind of flip back/forth as needed.

Other option is Generac with auto transfer switch - but I’m happy with current setup - just trying to cover time to go fire up generator when power outages happen.

It appears that when you are in "Storm Watch" the transfer times are similar to the backup mode. Not surprising given the information here but I was surprised when it happened (11 minute outage yesterday).

The other surprise was the UPS on my computer was beeping even when the Powerwall was running. I was reminded in Facebook post about the frequency shifting. Since the batteries were full (because of Storm Watch) the frequency was slightly out of spec (presumably on purpose to stop solar inverters).

It appears that when you are in "Storm Watch" the transfer times are similar to the backup mode. Not surprising given the information here but I was surprised when it happened (11 minute outage yesterday).

The other surprise was the UPS on my computer was beeping even when the Powerwall was running. I was reminded in Facebook post about the frequency shifting. Since the batteries were full (because of Storm Watch) the frequency was slightly out of spec (presumably on purpose to stop solar inverters).
I noticed this during a 5 minute outage about a week ago. It was the middle of the night and I heard my UPS beeping. I checked and found the Powerwalls were powering the house. By the time I got out of bed to check on the UPS, the grid was back so I couldn't check on the frequency.