Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfer Vanity Plate to Used Car from Tesla (California)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered a used Model S last week directly from Tesla. I sold my car last week too and kept the vanity plate. When I completed the registration profile, it gave me the option to select "Transfer Plate" I checked that and finished the rest of the profile. When my used sale advisor contacted me, I asked him how does that process work and he said I would have to do it through DMV after I get the car. I called the delivery center and they said I would simply email them a picture of my vanity plate and they will enter that on the registration paperwork during delivery. I looked on the forum and some people said the vanity plate gets written down on the registration form during delivery. I called the delivery center again today just to confirm because the window to transfer my vanity plate is ending soon and the lady said I would have to do it at the DMV after I take delivery. So which is it? I emailed my used advisor already and he seems to just ignore that question now.

Can anyone who has recently purchased a used car from Tesla with vanity plate chime in? It's at Costa Mesa delivery center. Thanks.

Ordered a used Model S last week directly from Tesla. I sold my car last week too and kept the vanity plate. When I completed the registration profile, it gave me the option to select "Transfer Plate" I checked that and finished the rest of the profile. When my used sale advisor contacted me, I asked him how does that process work and he said I would have to do it through DMV after I get the car. I called the delivery center and they said I would simply email them a picture of my vanity plate and they will enter that on the registration paperwork during delivery. I looked on the forum and some people said the vanity plate gets written down on the registration form during delivery. I called the delivery center again today just to confirm because the window to transfer my vanity plate is ending soon and the lady said I would have to do it at the DMV after I take delivery. So which is it? I emailed my used advisor already and he seems to just ignore that question now.

Can anyone who has recently purchased a used car from Tesla with vanity plate chime in? It's at Costa Mesa delivery center. Thanks.
yep.....new Model S....Tesla registers it and gives you a temp registration......the after receiving the new plate and permanent registration, you have to go to the DMV and transfer the vanity plate to the new car.....and pay the transfer fee....they tried to make me pay the registration fees again and I politely told them to pound sand and showed the the Bill of Sale and the old cars registration showing I owned the plate.....those people are robots and very arrogant.....I just use AAA now....very easy and no hassles