Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferability of reservations to immediate family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
I have an S and an X so I have two priority spots and therefore placed two orders for Model 3. I asked the sales person specifically whether I could title the cars to my sister and/or parents and they said yes, immediate relatives are the exception to the non-transferable rule. Anyone hear similarly? It makes sense. Rule is designed to prevent sales of reservations, but there are plenty of legitimate family reasons why one might want to title the car to one's spouse, sibling, parent, child, etc.,

According to the reservation agreement you can transfer with prior written approval by Tesla. I'm guessing they would be OK with relatives, but then I heard other rumors that due to some law it can only be a transfer to a spouse in california. I'm not sure if that is true, but you should be able to call Tesla and find out

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Carter
You might be referring to the California DMV title transfer use tax exemption which is defined as "if the seller is the buyer's natural or legally-adopted parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, spouse, or between a brother and sister, if the sale is between two minors related by blood or adoption." If Tesla follows the same definition, it should be no problem to title it to my parents, but may have some issues if I want to title it to my sister (unless I title it to my parents first and then they title it to her later).

My experience with this is that, as long as there is no reason for suspicion of profit, Tesla will try to help you....
The official policy is NOT to transfer, and of course with a lot of paperwork for them it could be done but...
The easy way will be you paying for the car, and ask for registration in the close relatives name...

But policies and workarounds (just as the design of the dashboard ;)) may change in the time it takes to deliver you Model 3...

My partner (same sex) is the one actually probably going to buy the car, but since he wasn't available on preorder night - I'm the one that signed up and registered, I didn't think to use his name. I'll be part of the process as I'm the one obsessed with Tesla, but I don't expect any problems from them when we both show up.

There seems to be some confusion on this. I asked about this specifically at the local Tesla store and was told, NO, because it unfairly offers non-owners an advantage in the queue.

A unilateral no doesn't make sense. What if I reserved a car but want it titled to my spouse? Or father that lives with me? Or father that doesn't live with me? Or sibling that lives with me? Or sibling that doesn't live with me? Where do they draw the line for the definition of immediate family?

I would support the opposite. Friends+Family (F+F) - in person referrals are the strongest and best customers. There will be some that would want to profit in selling their status, but excluding the faithful who want their F+F to experience Tesla and not allowing them to leverage that preexisting relationship is not smart business IMHO.

You buy the car and sell it to a family member or friend. A friend of mine wants to buy my Model 3. He is going to give me the options, I'll purchase the car, then sell it to him. He's paying me a little extra if I agree to do this. He has time to wait for the Model 3 and I don't think I can wait two or three years so I'm seriously entertaining his offer.

I asked the sales person specifically whether I could title the cars to my sister and/or parents and they said yes, immediate relatives are the exception to the non-transferable rule. Anyone hear similarly?

I asked the same and got the same response.

Its a reservation, not a law. If anything, its Tesla's "Law" to change, adhere to or approve on a case by case basis. Its a contract we agreed to. But a contract is a guideline. If both parties agree to change it, they can.

Can it be transferred to an in-law? I'm considering getting another vehicle and my father in law is interested in a Tesla. Was thinking about transferring mine to him if possible.

I have an S and an X so I have two priority spots and therefore placed two orders for Model 3. I asked the sales person specifically whether I could title the cars to my sister and/or parents and they said yes, immediate relatives are the exception to the non-transferable rule. Anyone hear similarly? It makes sense. Rule is designed to prevent sales of reservations, but there are plenty of legitimate family reasons why one might want to title the car to one's spouse, sibling, parent, child, etc.,

In my state of MA, you can sell a car to a family member and they won't have to pay sales tax a second time. So just accept delivery and then have your family member pay you back, then register it in their name.

You wouldn't want to do that.
1) You can't sell a car that you don't own (i.e. you do not hold the title; strictly you may have to have the title in your possession but that's is allowed to slide)
2) You can't claim the tax credit if you purchased the car for resale.

So, you can't buy the car and then sell it to your relative, because you'd have to Title it first.
But if you Title it, only you can claim the tax credit.
But if you are planning to sell it immediately, then it's a purchase for resale, which means that you don't qualify for the tax credit and you've just cost $7.5k.

I reached out via their site and got a call back within 24 hours. They politely stated that transfers aren't allowed.

The rep also seemed to think I would get an invitation to configure mid summer and have a solid chance of arriving before end of 2017 (April 14 reservation, East Coast, Non-tesla owner) -- impossible given Elon's own projections.

Your best bet would be to contact Tesla and ask them directly, no one here will know for sure.

Reactions: melindav
I reached out via their site and got a call back within 24 hours. They politely stated that transfers aren't allowed.

The rep also seemed to think I would get an invitation to configure mid summer and have a solid chance of arriving before end of 2017 (April 14 reservation, East Coast, Non-tesla owner) -- impossible given Elon's own projections.
Sorry they wouldn't let you transfer.
Mid summer, huh? That does sound overly optimistic. Unless of course they're going to open the configurator to everyone early, but I still don't see you getting your car by the end of the year, especially for an April reservation date.

but I still don't see you getting your car by the end of the year, especially for an April reservation date.

I think it is next to impossible to predict given that only RWD cars are going to be produce for the first few months, then AWD, and the Performance. So if you want RWD and the majority of people in front of you want AWD/P then you will be able to get your car early.

I have a 3/31 reservation but I want AWD, so I don't expect to be able to get a Model 3 until the end of the year. (If I had been smart and made two reservations I might have bought a RWD and then traded it in/sold it when I got the AWD I really wanted...)

Reactions: Jimmy 1