Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferable Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am in the market to purchase a 2016 MX with free transferable supercharging (code SC01). However, the current (2nd) owner previously bought it from a dealer (NOT Tesla). I have read that:
"Tesla also occasionally strips the Free Unlimited Supercharging promotion from 3rd party dealership sales. Even if the Model S or Model X has kept Free Unlimited Supercharging in the past, Tesla may remove the option upon the transfer of the vehicle between private parties if a dealership has at some point been involved or if the vehicle has been up for auction."

While it currently has free supercharging, I am fearful Tesla will remove the free supercharging after this sale (between two private parties) because it was previously bought from a dealership. Has anyone been in this same situation, and can comment on the likelihood of Tesla removing the free supercharging after this sale?

...fearful...

That's a risk when a "promise" is not codified in a contract.

That's the same issue in the current war in Ukraine as the US Secretary of State James Baker promised: "if we maintain a presence in a Germany that is a part of NATO, there would be no extension of NATO's jurisdiction for forces of NATO 1 inch to the east". When Russia complained of the NATO expansion, many interpret that promise as just a little "chit-chat" and not codified in any treaty.

Back to this thread, it's fine when Tesla honors your Free Supercharger for life but when it decides not to, owners need to show where in the sales receipt that it says that feature is included.

I have read that:
You need to tell us where you read this.
"Tesla also occasionally strips the Free Unlimited Supercharging promotion from 3rd party dealership sales. Even if the Model S or Model X has kept Free Unlimited Supercharging in the past, Tesla may remove the option upon the transfer of the vehicle between private parties if a dealership has at some point been involved or if the vehicle has been up for auction."
This stuff you read from some undisclosed source is somewhat both true and false:
Has it happened at times? Yes.
Is Tesla legally allowed to do that? No.
Have people held Tesla's feet to the fire and gotten it fixed when that happened? Yes.

Tesla is only allowed to revoke that stuff if they get back OWNERSHIP of the vehicle. Regardless of whether the chain of owners is individuals or dealerships, those are all independent third party entities, and Tesla has no legal rights to mess with their stuff if Tesla has not bought it back at some point. Tesla is developing some bad habits the last few years of trying to do that, though, to see if they can get away with it. I've seen multiple forum threads where that has happened, but people who know better got in Tesla's face and threatened them, and Tesla backed down and restored it. It hasn't had to come to a law suit yet, but if they ever refuse to back down on one of these, it will have to.

This stuff you read from some undisclosed source is somewhat both true and false:
Have people held Tesla's feet to the fire and gotten it fixed when that happened? Yes.

Tesla is only allowed to revoke that stuff if they get back OWNERSHIP of the vehicle. Regardless of whether the chain of owners is individuals or dealerships, those are all independent third party entities, and Tesla has no legal rights to mess with their stuff if Tesla has not bought it back at some point. Tesla is developing some bad habits the last few years of trying to do that, though, to see if they can get away with it. I've seen multiple forum threads where that has happened, but people who know better got in Tesla's face and threatened them, and Tesla backed down and restored it. It hasn't had to come to a law suit yet, but if they ever refuse to back down on one of these, it will have to.
Here is where I read it:

OK, that is really good coverage in that article. I realized I was going on a little bit of an assumption. I was thinking of the cars that are supposed to have the permanent, unlimited, transferrable Supercharging, which can't be removed. Obviously there are a lot of cars though, which are supposed to be just to the one original owner, and therefore, those really should have it removed once it is out of the original owner's possession. I wonder if that's what some of the dealership reports are talking about and didn't understand the difference?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hello,

I am in the market to purchase a 2016 MX with free transferable supercharging (code SC01). However, the current (2nd) owner previously bought it from a dealer (NOT Tesla). I have read that:

While it currently has free supercharging, I am fearful Tesla will remove the free supercharging after this sale (between two private parties) because it was previously bought from a dealership. Has anyone been in this same situation, and can comment on the likelihood of Tesla removing the free supercharging after this sale?

Probably not going to transfer, but maybe you'll get lucky. Though it's not the end all, a good test is to ask the owner to log in to their Tesla account and pull the option codes from their vehicle and then paste the URL into the option decoder here: Tesla option codes

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 12.46.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 12.48.39 PM.png

Then look for the SC code.
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 12.47.23 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H
Hello,

I bought a 2016 Model X with free supercharging and connectivity from a Jeep dealer in Vegas and both stayed with the car. Was told by Tesla that the free supercharging stays with the vin number if sold by a private party or a dealer as long as it is not sold by Tesla as used because then most likely it is stripped from the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I am about to put my 2016 Model X P90D Ludicrous on the market for sale as I'm upgrading to a Plaid. I'm the original owner, no accidents and it has free supercharging. I was hoping Tesla would be generous with us early adopters and allow us to transfer to our new Model X, but no such luck :)

If interested you can message me.
IMG_1461.JPG

Note that when they crippled Supercharging on an entire generation of vehicles in Batterygate, they dramatically reduced those cars' likelihood of being resold in private transactions and put a big dent in this issue for themselves.