Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfering Beta Access?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 2020 Model S with FSD and in Beta. I sold that today. And I order a 2022 Model S Plaid with FSD. Has anyone had any success getting the old VIN removed and the new VIN added to the FSD beta program? Worth a shot emailing the beta team once I get my delivery?

I’ll be wanting to do this soon when I sell my current car which currently has FSD beta. I presume factory reset will only erase personal settings and not the Beta and I’ll have to request to leave the Beta to have the car revert to the standard software build?

TL;DR - Yes but YMMV

I have experience with this, but unfortunately I'm in limbo. I traded in my 2018 M3 LR RWD with 42k miles that was on Beta 10.4 for a 2018 M3 LR AWD with 6k miles and FSD.

The day after I got the "new to me M3" I sent the beta team an email with my old VIN and new VIN asking for the swap and 12 hours later they pushed beta 10.4 to the new to me M3. I installed the update and when I went to the Autopilot page the toggle to turn on FSD Beta features was not available. I had the "camera icon" on the top menu to report to the FSD team, and the toggle for newer larger beta visualization, but no FSD beta toggle (screen shots attached). I sent the beta team several requests for assistance with no reply.

10.5 was just about to be released so I figured I'd wait and see if it pushed to the car and resolved the issue, no push. After 2 weeks of no response from the beta team with the rest of the beta testers moving on to 10.6 and 10.6.1 I contacted Tesla service about the issue. They scheduled an appointment at my local service center, which was then swapped to a virtual service person who called me. He was very helpful in that he would communicate directly with me what had happened. He contacted FSD beta/Early Access team and was told that the software install was "bad" and they would need to push the current fleet update 2021.40.6 to install and I would then send an email to the early access team and re-request the beta. He assured me I wasn't being pushed out of the beta, and I would not have to re-qualify my test score. He said he would monitor the progress and send in emails himself. We did all this, and now almost 2 weeks later we are still waiting for the beta software to be pushed.

The beta software is in limbo right now with people in between updates of 10.5, 10.6 and 10.6.1 with 10.7 coming very soon and obviously my situation is not a priority for the beta team, so I wait...

Attachments

• Software screen.jpg
    Software screen.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Autopilot screen.jpg
    Autopilot screen.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Just another case where Tesla policy seems to be FOLLOWING actual events. This is one of Tesla biggest weak points and hopeful will improve with experience. Need to have more concise and thought out policies covering all knowable potential events before something is released.

TL;DR - Yes but YMMV

I have experience with this, but unfortunately I'm in limbo. I traded in my 2018 M3 LR RWD with 42k miles that was on Beta 10.4 for a 2018 M3 LR AWD with 6k miles and FSD.

The day after I got the "new to me M3" I sent the beta team an email with my old VIN and new VIN asking for the swap and 12 hours later they pushed beta 10.4 to the new to me M3. I installed the update and when I went to the Autopilot page the toggle to turn on FSD Beta features was not available. I had the "camera icon" on the top menu to report to the FSD team, and the toggle for newer larger beta visualization, but no FSD beta toggle (screen shots attached). I sent the beta team several requests for assistance with no reply.

10.5 was just about to be released so I figured I'd wait and see if it pushed to the car and resolved the issue, no push. After 2 weeks of no response from the beta team with the rest of the beta testers moving on to 10.6 and 10.6.1 I contacted Tesla service about the issue. They scheduled an appointment at my local service center, which was then swapped to a virtual service person who called me. He was very helpful in that he would communicate directly with me what had happened. He contacted FSD beta/Early Access team and was told that the software install was "bad" and they would need to push the current fleet update 2021.40.6 to install and I would then send an email to the early access team and re-request the beta. He assured me I wasn't being pushed out of the beta, and I would not have to re-qualify my test score. He said he would monitor the progress and send in emails himself. We did all this, and now almost 2 weeks later we are still waiting for the beta software to be pushed.

The beta software is in limbo right now with people in between updates of 10.5, 10.6 and 10.6.1 with 10.7 coming very soon and obviously my situation is not a priority for the beta team, so I wait...
It sounds like you've done everything you can and it's great that you've gotten a response (hey, that's a start).

While I don't have any inside knowledge I think I can envision some idea of what might be happening. When Dirty Tesla (@DirtyT3sla) of YouTube fame got a new vehicle he was able to get the beta on the new one but he did have to wait for a new version to be pushed out.

Tesla has been very cautious in pushing out new versions ever since the 10.3>10.3.1 debacle. I know this is a technical term but I believe they have a case of the heebie-jeebies ;). Since they are being cautious they are severely slowing the release pattern. The current 10.6.1 has only gone to a relatively small group of previous beta testers. My guess is that the next release that gets a full release to all previous testers should get pushed to you as well...at least I hope that's the case. Good luck!

Last edited:
It sounds like you've done everything you can and it's great that you've gotten a response (hey, that's a start).

While I don't have any inside knowledge I think I can envision some idea of what might be happening. When Dirty Tesla (@DirtyT3sla) of YouTube fame got a new vehicle he was able to get the beta on the new one but he did have to wait for a new version to be pushed out.

Tesla has been very cautious in pushing out new versions ever since the 10.3>10.3.1 debacle. I know this is a technical term but I believe they have a case of the heebie-jeebies ;). Since they are being cautious they are severely slowing the release pattern. The current 10.6.1 has only gone to a relatively small group of previous beta testers. My guess is that the next release that gets a full release to all previous testers should get pushed to you as well...at least I hope that's the case. Good luck!
To add, this was before safety score. If I was to get a new vehicle now, I would have to play the safety score game to get added back in.

To add, this was before safety score. If I was to get a new vehicle now, I would have to play the safety score game to get added back in.
Interesting, when the new to me car was pushed the beta I was wondering if I would have to re-qualify with the safety score but it never came back to my app and it just continued to show I was enrolled in the queue as it still does with the update to 2021.40.6

Fingers crossed the 10.8 push will come through and clear this up for me and others.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Tesla REALLY needs to correct this. Someone who has earned, is using the Beta and then BUYS a NEW Tesla with FSD should definitely be included back into the Beta program automatically. Buying a new car (hell that is what Tesla wants you to do) and losing a feature seems obtuse. Talk about getting the carrot and stick BACKWARDS.
Basically EA Beta should be attached to the person rather than the car.

Okay so I emailed beta team anyways about transferring beta. I did not get a reply. But my prior car was on 2021.36.8.10 and it is currently downloading 2021.44.6 which is the production update (I'm still getting app notifications even though I've removed the car).

So they have 'removed' my old VIN from beta. I wonder if they added the new VIN to the beta? I'm supposed to pick up the plaid tomorrow if all goes well. I hope I get the FSD update! I will let you guys know if it worked!

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Okay so I emailed beta team anyways about transferring beta. I did not get a reply. But my prior car was on 2021.36.8.10 and it is currently downloading 2021.44.6 which is the production update (I'm still getting app notifications even though I've removed the car).

So they have 'removed' my old VIN from beta. I wonder if they added the new VIN to the beta? I'm supposed to pick up the plaid tomorrow if all goes well. I hope I get the FSD update! I will let you guys know if it worked!
Hopefully great news and Tesla is getting the correct message that the Beta should go with the person who earned it and not LOST when buying a new Tesla. Let us know tomorrow AFTER you do a 0-60MPH.:oops::oops:

Hopefully great news and Tesla is getting the correct message that the Beta should go with the person who earned it and not LOST when buying a new Tesla. Let us know tomorrow AFTER you do a 0-60MPH.:oops::oops:

Bahha! I sure will! However, I've also been reading that new purchase cars are taking 1-2 months to get their initial updates so I don't know how it will play out!