Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferrable Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2015 Model S from Tesla in 2018. I've driven it happily ever since, but just picked up a 2018 Model X, so I'm looking to sell the Model S. It came to me with free supercharging and free connectivity.

I read some articles on how to see the "SC code" associated with your car. Apparently the code SC01 means that the supercharging and connectivity are likely transferrable. I have that code on my car details. SC05 is the code associated with "non transferable" supercharging. The Tesla SC told me today that the code doesn't matter - no private party free supercharging will be allowed.

Has anyone else been through this? What was the outcome?

My understanding is if it's an SC01 code, then the free supercharging will transfer on a private party sale.

Have you looked very closely at your purchase documents from when you bought it as a CPO? I don't recall how Tesla in that era were documenting/handling CPO sales (I've bought a CPO from them, only my mid-2016 MS90D when new). The documentation on-line in the owners account / details section used to much, much, more clearly state if was transferrable to new owners, only was for the current owner. Tesla stripped all of that type of detail out of the on-line account starting a couple years ago to my disappointment as it makes it incredibly for people to be able to confirm this, both seller and buyer.

I purchased a 2015 Model S from Tesla in 2018. I've driven it happily ever since, but just picked up a 2018 Model X, so I'm looking to sell the Model S. It came to me with free supercharging and free connectivity.

I read some articles on how to see the "SC code" associated with your car. Apparently the code SC01 means that the supercharging and connectivity are likely transferrable. I have that code on my car details. SC05 is the code associated with "non transferable" supercharging. The Tesla SC told me today that the code doesn't matter - no private party free supercharging will be allowed.

Has anyone else been through this? What was the outcome?

I'm the first owner of my 2015 S85. I'm pretty sure my Tesla account used to say free transferable unlimited supercharging, or at least that has been my understanding all along. But, when I now click on the "Details" of my car in my Tesla account, it just shows "Free Unlimited Supercharging". No mention of the word transferable anywhere. Your post has made me curious too.

My 202 Model S has free lifetime supercharging, SC05 - and the "05" means it's not transferable with the car. You can get the listing of all the ifs and buts of YOUR car by logging in and right-clicking on the car. There's decoding listings on the internet.
The listing will show model, colour, trim, FUSC code etc etc.

Reactions: cmarshack
I'm the first owner of my 2015 S85. I'm pretty sure my Tesla account used to say free transferable unlimited supercharging, or at least that has been my understanding all along. But, when I now click on the "Details" of my car in my Tesla account, it just shows "Free Unlimited Supercharging". No mention of the word transferable anywhere. Your post has made me curious too.
Your situation is exactly the same as mine. Original owner of a mid-2016 Model S. The change in wording in the on-line owner account Details section is exactly what I reference above. The cars still retain the right to transfer to new owner on private party sale, but Tesla is not very transparent in how the reference this today.

@Wol747 - I'm also very aware of how to pull the option codes by copying the URL behind the image, pasting into document as text, and pull out the codes. That's where several have done that, it shows SC01, but the description for SC01 code that Tesla gives in the Details section no longer makes reference to transfer, even with the SC01 code.

The cars still retain the right to transfer to new owner on private party sale

I looked through all my sales documentation, emailed to me in 2015 during the purchase process or given to me signed/unsigned at the delivery time. I do not see the word transferrable in any of them. I believe it used to be on the website and conveyed by Tesla verbally, hence our understanding. Do you happen to have anything in writing from Tesla saying that we have this "right"? I do not.

It is a semantics issue. To my understanding there have been just two types of FUSC - free for the life of the car no matter who owns it, and free for as long as the original purchaser owns the car. There is never any transfer as it is attached to the vehicle, just like FSD. I believe they went to the second option around 2018 or 2019. Mine has the second option so if I sell or trade the car it is gone. Quite a nice thing to have these days and I doubt we will ever have it again. Elon said years back that it was an unsustainable perk.

I am not sure where folks are confused other than the fact that Tesla made this info harder to find.

I have both types of FUSC. SC01 on a 2015 S, and SC05 on a 2018 X. Option codes are visible in my Tesla account via right-click on the car image and "copy image address".

SC01 is for ANY owner of the car.. transferrable. SC05 is only the first owner. I would not worry about any Tesla documentation if you have SC01. It will transfer during the ownership transfer and you should advertise it. I have never heard of any exceptions to this unless maybe it passed through some salvage/auction process.

SC01 is for ANY owner of the car.. transferrable. SC05 is only the first owner. I would not worry about any Tesla documentation if you have SC01. It will transfer during the ownership transfer and you should advertise it. I have never heard of any exceptions to this unless maybe it passed through some salvage/auction process.

I know how to decode those codes per some websites' "interpretations" (not officially by Tesla). The Details portion of my car in my Tesla account currently says "Free Unlimited Supercharging". That is it. It does not say transferable anymore. Can anyone show a definition document of those codes written by Tesla that says the code SC01 means that the FUSC stays with the car no matter who owns it? I love to see that rather than relying on interpretations.

If the OP checks the Motor Vehicle Owner Agreement on their Tesla Account page, it will be listed there in writing along with the VIN and Reservation Number (RN).
Sorry, but I disagree. As someone who purchased their vehicle new in mid-2016 and with an SC01 option code, the motor vehicle purchase agreement makes no mention of free supercharging in any way. The only statement in the motor vehicle purchase agreement in my account glovebox is "Supercharger Enabled".

Tesla used to much more clearly state in the ownership account free unlimited supercharging transferable to new owner. Now the only place online in the ownership account you will see any reference is if I click on the Manage Subscriptions dropdown where it says:
Premium Connectivity​
Free Unlimited​

Even the "Free Unlimited" statement does not explicitly say that applies to supercharging.

As for saying SC01 is for any owner of the car, I agree that has been the option code that references transferrable supercharging, but I am not aware of any official Tesla document that actually defines what the option codes mean. I'm sure there is one inside Tesla, but I'm aware where they make that publicly available where any owner could use in if this were to ever become a point of debate with Tesla. Yes, I know there are some web site, like the unofficial API documentation site where I can find a list of option codes, but those do not count in my book as an official Tesla document that in my opinion be something I'd expect to take into an official arbitration or legal proceeding and expect it to be deemed "official" Tesla documentation.

Except the car was purchased in 2018. So that makes it an unknown - I think.
Since it was purchased from Tesla, yeah they might do anything in the “fine print”. If it stayed all private sales since birth it should still have it. Even if an early car went through a Dealer, Tesla would disable it going foreward. So you’d think they would apply that rule to themselves too.

Sorry, but I disagree. As someone who purchased their vehicle new in mid-2016 and with an SC01 option code, the motor vehicle purchase agreement makes no mention of free supercharging in any way. The only statement in the motor vehicle purchase agreement in my account glovebox is "Supercharger Enabled".

Tesla used to much more clearly state in the ownership account free unlimited supercharging transferable to new owner. Now the only place online in the ownership account you will see any reference is if I click on the Manage Subscriptions dropdown where it says:
Premium Connectivity​
Free Unlimited​

Even the "Free Unlimited" statement does not explicitly say that applies to supercharging.

As for saying SC01 is for any owner of the car, I agree that has been the option code that references transferrable supercharging, but I am not aware of any official Tesla document that actually defines what the option codes mean. I'm sure there is one inside Tesla, but I'm aware where they make that publicly available where any owner could use in if this were to ever become a point of debate with Tesla. Yes, I know there are some web site, like the unofficial API documentation site where I can find a list of option codes, but those do not count in my book as an official Tesla document that in my opinion be something I'd expect to take into an official arbitration or legal proceeding and expect it to be deemed "official" Tesla documentation.

Agree 100%.

The "Motor Vehicle Owner Agreement on their Tesla Account page" @SilverString is referring to does not exist in my account (anymore).

I do have a paper copy of "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement", given to me by the SC at the delivery time. No FUSC mentioned in it.

My electronic "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement", emailed to me during the purchase process only says "Supercharger Enabled Included". That's it.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverString
Very curious about this as well since my 2014 has the SC01 code and I've considered selling it. My MVPA also just lists Free Supercharging.
To further muddy the waters, the Tesla Supercharger Fair Use Policy mentioned "free Supercharging for the lifetime of vehicle ownership"
1646925151789.png

This at least acknowledges two different types of Supercharging "levels"
Source: Privacy & Legal | Tesla