Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferred wheels from 2020 to 2023 M3P and TPMS doesn’t connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a set of aftermarket wheels with aftermarket 433 TPMS sensors that I was using on my 2020 M3P in 2020/21 and they worked fine.
After that, these wheels sat in my garage unused for 2 years. Last week I installed them on my new 2023 M3P but the car is not detecting the TPMS sensors. After a few days I just got the error message saying tpms fault and the message may go away… but it just doesn’t.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

I have a set of aftermarket wheels with aftermarket 433 TPMS sensors that I was using on my 2020 M3P in 2020/21 and they worked fine.
After that, these wheels sat in my garage unused for 2 years. Last week I installed them on my new 2023 M3P but the car is not detecting the TPMS sensors. After a few days I just got the error message saying tpms fault and the message may go away… but it just doesn’t.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Yes, We do have an idea what is causing this. The new Model 3P has bluetooth connectivity to the TPMS and the old ones are completely, utterly non compatible with that model. You will need bluetooth TPMS for your new car. Tesla sells them, you can sometimes find them on ebay, and a couple of aftermarket brands might also sell them. They are also much more expensive than the regular 433 TPMS.

Ugh. Thanks guys! I regretted trading my 2020 for the 2023 the morning after, and this is just another reminder of what an idiot I am.
I used a set of wheels that I had for my old Model 3 when I got my new car. I bought 4 Tesla brand sensors on eBay. The part number is 1490701-01-C for the ones with the black valve stem. Prices are all over the place, and both new and takeoffs are available. Watch out for shipping fees, shipping time, and return policies. I paid about $50 more than the minimum priced ones, in order to get them from a US seller with a 99%+ positive feedback rating.

Reactions: rpiotro