Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring a Model 3 reservation = no problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't transferred the reservation, but I've transferred a car after receiving a VIN to a friend's Tesla account (and the car was registered in his name).

Yes, it requires a lot of trust (no selling a reservation to random strangers), but it does mean you can "give" your reservation to a buddy.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
I haven't transferred the reservation, but I've transferred a car after receiving a VIN to a friend's Tesla account (and the car was registered in his name).

Yes, it requires a lot of trust (no selling a reservation to random strangers), but it does mean you can "give" your reservation to a buddy.

Can I ask, did you transfer it post-VIN assignment but pre-delivery? Was it a 3? How did you do it?

Reactions: Pkmmte
Can I ask, did you transfer it post-VIN assignment but pre-delivery? Was it a 3? How did you do it?

Post-VIN assignment and pre-delivery. It was a 3.

I gave my friend my Tesla login upon receiving the invitation to configure. He filled out the details (registration, trade-in, DL pictures, financing, etc.). There was no issue filling in his name instead of mine.

After receiving a VIN, I contacted Tesla via email ([email protected]) and asked them to transfer the car (identified by VIN) from my account to my friend's Tesla account (provided name, account login, address, phone number of my friend).

They transferred the car to him.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and YDAORCT
I’m doing this now. Configured 2-11-18, out all my info into MS owner account with his M3 reservation. I paid the build fee with my info and my CC also on his account. Waiting for VIN now to transfer into my account with my M3 reservation, now showing Mar-May for first production. So Cal, OC. We shall see when the VIN is assigned?

I gave my friend my Tesla login upon receiving the invitation to configure. He filled out the details (registration, trade-in, DL pictures, financing, etc.). There was no issue filling in his name instead of mine.

After receiving a VIN, I contacted Tesla via email ([email protected]) and asked them to transfer the car (identified by VIN) from my account to my friend's Tesla account (provided name, account login, address, phone number of my friend).

Curious - when the car was transferred to your friend’s Tesla account, did anything happen to your friend’s (unused) Model 3 reservation? Was the car transferred and the friend’s (unused) Model 3 reservation still unused?

How long did the transfer process take?

Curious - when the car was transferred to your friend’s Tesla account, did anything happen to your friend’s (unused) Model 3 reservation? Was the car transferred and the friend’s (unused) Model 3 reservation still unused?

that's how it worked for me. Still haven't gotten around to cancelling yet. Interestingly the reservation that my car was ordered with shows in my account as ready to configure on the delivery estimate page but if I click it just goes to the vehicle management page.

Can you please tell me how long it took to transfer car post VIN?

Can you please tell me how long it took to transfer car post VIN?

2-11-18 was the day we configured and Today was delivery day! This car is crazy cool! Here’s an update on the transferring of the car out of the original owners account. Tesla has become more than a bit overwhelmed and I think annoyed at the transferring of cars. I’ve been told this entire time by Tesla that the transferring of the VIN was not going to be a problem. When I showed up today for delivery I got an entirely different story. I wasn’t happy to say the least and management had to come down and talk to me about what they were going to do to fix the problem. The bottom line is Tesla home office has temporarily suspended transferring cars from the original account into the new owners account. It has been on hold for several weeks. I had to call the Tesla customer service technical advice line after we got home from picking up the car. They told me it should be a week or two before my car is transferred out of the original owner account into our Tesla account and instructed me to send a specific email containing specific information to them to get me in line for them to transfer the car eventually.

It’s just kind of annoying having our car still in the other account. We have full access because the other owner has given us access to his account until we are completely separated. Upon delivery you have to have access to the original account to make your cell phones active as the car keys and use some of the features in the app. You can’t use the app unless you have account access. You could drive the car using the credit card keys they give you but you wouldn’t be able to use the functions in the app.

It’s a great car. We only found one flaw at delivery which was a very small dent on the metal door sill plate that says model three on the drivers side front door sill. They’re ordering a new piece and Service will call me when they get it in to replace it. And when I say very small it was very small but I’m not taking anything dented.... LOL

So to answer your question it’s our car we picked it up and pay for it and it’s registered in our names but Tesla shows it in the original owners account not our Tesla account. Should be fixed soon according to Tesla? We shall see. They’re going to have to do it sooner or later.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
2-11-18 was the day we configured and Today was delivery day! This car is crazy cool! Here’s an update on the transferring of the car out of the original owners account. Tesla has become more than a bit overwhelmed and I think annoyed at the transferring of cars. I’ve been told this entire time by Tesla that the transferring of the VIN was not going to be a problem. When I showed up today for delivery I got an entirely different story. I wasn’t happy to say the least and management had to come down and talk to me about what they were going to do to fix the problem. The bottom line is Tesla home office has temporarily suspended transferring cars from the original account into the new owners account. It has been on hold for several weeks. I had to call the Tesla customer service technical advice line after we got home from picking up the car. They told me it should be a week or two before my car is transferred out of the original owner account into our Tesla account and instructed me to send a specific email containing specific information to them to get me in line for them to transfer the car eventually.

It’s just kind of annoying having our car still in the other account. We have full access because the other owner has given us access to his account until we are completely separated. Upon delivery you have to have access to the original account to make your cell phones active as the car keys and use some of the features in the app. You can’t use the app unless you have account access. You could drive the car using the credit card keys they give you but you wouldn’t be able to use the functions in the app.

It’s a great car. We only found one flaw at delivery which was a very small dent on the metal door sill plate that says model three on the drivers side front door sill. They’re ordering a new piece and Service will call me when they get it in to replace it. And when I say very small it was very small but I’m not taking anything dented.... LOL

So to answer your question it’s our car we picked it up and pay for it and it’s registered in our names but Tesla shows it in the original owners account not our Tesla account. Should be fixed soon according to Tesla? We shall see. They’re going to have to do it sooner or later.
Thanks for detailed explanation. I would probably transfer it after delivery instead of starting process after getting VIN.

Maybe a dumb question, but shouldn't it be fairly common for Tesla to "transfer" a VIN to someone else? Shouldn't this happen every time a used Tesla is sold? Seems like they should have a better process, but perhaps they are just really bogged down.

Reactions: ShangoRAK