Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring a Model 3 reservation = no problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fantastic. Thank you for confirming. Does anyone know if current Tesla owners that put in a new reservation still get front of the line treatment? I have a friend willing to put in a reservation for me.
I don't know if they do but I'm about to conduct an experiment where I place simultaneous reservations on my brother-in-law's account and mine. He owns a Model S I own a Model 3 obtained through his reservation.

Reactions: JPUConn
I don't know if they do but I'm about to conduct an experiment where I place simultaneous reservations on my brother-in-law's account and mine. He owns a Model S I own a Model 3 obtained through his reservation.
Hi, did you find out? I want to know as well, my brother has a model X and i didn't have any reservation for model 3 but been thinking about having him to reserve one for me. Thanks.

That's basically what I did. I'm hoping for a phone call any day now. A neighbor of mine took delivery of their M3 last Thursday and he said it took two weeks to the day from placing his order until the day he got the call to pick up his car. Looks like deliveries are happening pretty fast here in NorCal.

Are you saying that if I want to register the car in someone else's name, I can leave my Tesla account in my name, use their credit card for the $2500 deposit, and then put the registration/finance in the other person's name? Is it that simple?
Yes, that’s it. It doesn’t matter who’s account it’s under, the car can be registered in any name. You’ll fill out a form when you configure with all the registration info. You can use your own credit card too. The only problem, you’ll have to transfer the car out of their MyTesla account.

Yes, that’s it. It doesn’t matter who’s account it’s under, the car can be registered in any name. You’ll fill out a form when you configure with all the registration info. You can use your own credit card too. The only problem, you’ll have to transfer the car out of their MyTesla account.
Appreciate all the info! My friend has placed an order for me with all my info for registration. But the Tesla Purchase Agreement Vehicle Configuration pdf file he received shows only my friend name as the customer. I guess that it's just a configuration doc (configured in my friend'sTesla account) and my guess is that there will be an actual purchase agreement when the vehicle is delivered on which i will be the only buyer to sign. Can you confirm? Thank you!

We picked up or M3 on Thursday and the issue of transfer never came up. I was able to take over the account of the person that gave me their reservation so there were no issues. I have another reservation in another account but it probably won't come up for another 3-6 months. I doubt I'll use it.

I've owned many high performance cars and I must say the more I drive the M3 the more impressed I am. Even the build quality has exceeded my expectations. The ICE car is doomed.

img_e4474-jpg.4237

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and FlatSix911
So even though I think it was asked, I will ask it again for confirmation.

Does it matter if the reservation holder is in California and I am in Florida. When I register it to me in Florida will that automatically set up delivery for Florida (rather than shipping to CA).?

Does the ordering process allow the new person (i.e. me) be able to apply for the financing?

Gator it doesn't matter that the reservation holder lives in a different state, once you configure and pay the $2500 it will take you to additional steps. That's where your going to fill out who the car is going to be registered, you will put your information (pictures of your drivers license, current insurance, if your trading in a car, financing etc) and it will ask you where do you want to take delivery. You will be able to finance it no problem but if you add a additional name under the registration for example you and your spouse then when you finance both of your names has to be on the loan. The only annoying thing is when the tesla rep starts contacting about VIN delivery etc he will contact the original reservation email so the other person must forward the emails or let the tesla rep know that the car will be received by a family member aka you, so then you can give them your email or phone number so they address you. Once you take delivery only the person that is under the registration needs to be present, cheers enjoy your new car.

Appreciate all the info! My friend has placed an order for me with all my info for registration. But the Tesla Purchase Agreement Vehicle Configuration pdf file he received shows only my friend name as the customer. I guess that it's just a configuration doc (configured in my friend'sTesla account) and my guess is that there will be an actual purchase agreement when the vehicle is delivered on which i will be the only buyer to sign. Can you confirm? Thank you!
Just an update for someone is interested in the following:
1. Received an email on 6/18 from Tesla ISA to both my friend (the original owner of the reservation) to me for arsing to confirm all the config info. Called the ISA within 2 min while I was on vacation and discussed the delivery date (7/19) . For Tesla account transfer to my account all we needed is to get a confirmation from my friend.
2. The next morning 6/19 I saw the Tesla 3 is in my account and I got a email from my Tesla ISA Pro Forma Purchase Agreement attached with VIN #

Good luck!

Just an update for someone is interested in the following:
1. Received an email on 6/18 from Tesla ISA to both my friend (the original owner of the reservation) to me for arsing to confirm all the config info. Called the ISA within 2 min while I was on vacation and discussed the delivery date (7/19) . For Tesla account transfer to my account all we needed is to get a confirmation from my friend.
2. The next morning 6/19 I saw the Tesla 3 is in my account and I got a email from my Tesla ISA Pro Forma Purchase Agreement attached with VIN #

Good luck!
This is great to here. I configured on 6/11, and am waiting eagerly for the signs to show up (i.e. Edit Deign link disappearing). Once the email is sent to the original reservation owner, I plan to get the ball rolling.