Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring a MX from one family member to another

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am guessing no it wont transfer because there is a change of ownership - unless it is one of the older ones that do have transferable supercharging.

If supercharging is that important keep it in her name and you pay the tags and insurance.

I know that sales will not be due for daughter to parent in CA. Don't tell newsom or they'll take that too

...Will Supercharger privileges follow that transfer?

She needs to look that up in her account and it would give you the answer.

Some older Model X would retain its Free Unlimited Supercharger feature even when selling to the next owner.

Some say:

"Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Read our Supercharging terms."

How would Tesla know about the transfer?

If Tesla is sophisticated enough, it could automatically interface global DMV registrations to keep track which car belong to which owner.

I think most likely, it only knows about the transfer when new owner submits the paperwork to Tesla to claim new ownership. Or the former owner would tell Tesla to take the old car off their account. In that case, if new or former owner doesn't tell Tesla, then Tesla wouldn't know.

Last edited:
What about if the email associated with supercharging is used for supercharging alone, and transferred to the new owner who can change the password etc.

As far as Tesla is concerned the account is still the same, no ?

Or would this all go away as soon as someone went in for warranty or service work, and they see a different name on the registration? Or would it really even matter as they just email it to the same old email address that has always been on the acct?

Hmmmmm....

...What about if the email associated with supercharging is used for supercharging alone, and transferred to the new owner who can change the password etc...

As long as the car's Tesla account is undisturbed, Tesla wouldn't know there's a new owner.

...someone went in for warranty or service work, and they see a different name on the registration?...

Service center would compare the Tesla account's phone number, VIN, name, credit card info... against the person who shows up for service and of course, that would alert Tesla that those records don't match.

As long as the car's Tesla account is undisturbed, Tesla wouldn't know there's a new owner.

Service center would compare the Tesla account's phone number, VIN, name, credit card info... against the person who shows up for service and of course, that would alert Tesla that those records don't match.

Oh, so the email address transfer free supercharging transfer would be pretty short lived. Ie until the first service apptmt.

Wonder if they would want to back bill the new owner for all supercharging used since the date of the vehicle transfer in such an event ? Or would they just shut off free supercharging going forward (start charging the new owners credit card)?

...Wonder if they would want to back bill the new owner for all supercharging used since the date of the vehicle transfer in such an event ? Or would they just shut off free supercharging going forward (start charging the new owners credit card)?

Tesla loves simplification so I doubt that it would retroactively bill from DMV date of change of ownership. It would just much simpler for it to just start billing from its first day of Tesla account change.

@Tam is correct that first step should be to look up the terms attached to the car on her My Tesla account. Here is an example from mine which will transfer, but these were the most expansive terms which were progressively phased out. Sometime (overlapping with Model X), the transfer clause became “...will not...” while maintaining free unlimited supercharging for first owner.

C09101BA-59E5-469B-97E8-749A5CE25553.jpeg