Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2014 used Model S a few weeks ago that has extended warranty and extended service agreement. I took the car into deal with a drive noise and the extended warranty was transferred, but the service center said the extended service agreement did not transfer. They could not tell me how to transfer the agreement, but had me call their tech support line. Tech support told me to email an address, which I've done several times with no response. Inquiries on the Tesla account page also got no response.

The ESA says all I need is a letter from the PO (which I have), but does not say where to send it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar problem. I used 3 out of the 4 annual service visits included in the extended service agreement. Last year, Tesla stopped selling the service plan because they decided it's not really necessary, and were giving some folks pro-rated refunds for their unused, un-expired visits.

At my last service visit several months ago, I inquired about this, and they looked up my account, and I did have four visits, but since I didn't use the last one within four years (plus some buffer time), it essentially 'expired'. Since you have a 2014 Model S, I'm going to assume for you the same thing applies -- even if you could transfer it, it's long since expired. This is just my experience, but keep pestering them, perhaps you'll get a different answer.

I had a similar problem. I used 3 out of the 4 annual service visits included in the extended service agreement. Last year, Tesla stopped selling the service plan because they decided it's not really necessary, and were giving some folks pro-rated refunds for their unused, un-expired visits.

At my last service visit several months ago, I inquired about this, and they looked up my account, and I did have four visits, but since I didn't use the last one within four years (plus some buffer time), it essentially 'expired'. Since you have a 2014 Model S, I'm going to assume for you the same thing applies -- even if you could transfer it, it's long since expired. This is just my experience, but keep pestering them, perhaps you'll get a different answer.
Thank you. I should have 3 more visits covered--the previous owner purchased warranty and service coverage through 2022.

I'd just like some sort of a response at this point!

I purchased a 2014 used Model S a few weeks ago that has extended warranty and extended service agreement. I took the car into deal with a drive noise and the extended warranty was transferred, but the service center said the extended service agreement did not transfer. They could not tell me how to transfer the agreement, but had me call their tech support line. Tech support told me to email an address, which I've done several times with no response. Inquiries on the Tesla account page also got no response.

The ESA says all I need is a letter from the PO (which I have), but does not say where to send it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Your previous owner should give you the valid Extended Service Agreement=ESA=Extended Warrty (which might vary from year to year.)

For 2013 ESA, it says:

J. Transfer of this Vehicle ESA

Contact Tesla and submit the following:

1. A letter requesting that Tesla transfer this Vehicle ESA to the new owner.
2. $100 transfer fee.
3. This Vehicle ESA.
4. Written evidence verifying all maintenance requirements have been met.
5. A copy of documentation evidencing change of ownership and mileage at date of sale.
6. Documents verifying transference of the Vehicle ESA, if applicable.

Conditions:
1. This Vehicle ESA cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different private owner of the same Vehicle.
2. The Vehicle is subject to inspection.
3. Transfer must take place within 30 days of change of ownership.
4. You may not transfer this Vehicle ESA to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer. 5. All remaining underlying warranties also must be transferred to the new owner.

The 2017 ESA is online but I am not sure it's the same for your 2014 ESA transfer procedure.

Meant to add he paid for a total of 8 service visits through 2022.

8 Year Service Plan Agreement (annual inspection plan, not ESA, not extended warranty) is good for either within 100,000 miles or 8 years whichever first.

The 2013 plan says:

I. Transfer of this Agreement

1. A letter requesting that Tesla transfer this Agreement to the new owner.
2. $100 transfer fee.
3. This Agreement.
5. A copy of documentation evidencing change of ownership and mileage at date of sale.
6. Documents verifying transference of the Agreement, if applicable.

Conditions:
1. This Agreement cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different private owner of the same Vehicle.
4. You may not transfer this Agreement to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer.
5. All remaining underlying warranties also must be transferred to the new owner.

Your previous owner should give you the valid Extended Service Agreement=ESA=Extended Warrty (which might vary from year to year.)

For 2013 ESA, it says:

J. Transfer of this Vehicle ESA

1. A letter requesting that Tesla transfer this Vehicle ESA to the new owner.
2. $100 transfer fee.
3. This Vehicle ESA.
6. Documents verifying transference of the Vehicle ESA, if applicable.

Conditions:
1. This Vehicle ESA cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different private owner of the same Vehicle.
4. You may not transfer this Vehicle ESA to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer. 5. All remaining underlying warranties also must be transferred to the new owner.

The 2017 ESA is online but I am not sure it's the same for your 2014 ESA transfer procedure.

8 Year Service Plan Agreement (annual inspection plan, not ESA, not extended warranty) is good for either within 100,000 miles or 8 years whichever first.

The 2013 plan says:

I. Transfer of this Agreement

1. A letter requesting that Tesla transfer this Agreement to the new owner.
2. $100 transfer fee.
3. This Agreement.
6. Documents verifying transference of the Agreement, if applicable.

Conditions:
1. This Agreement cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different private owner of the same Vehicle.
4. You may not transfer this Agreement to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer.
5. All remaining underlying warranties also must be transferred to the new owner.
The PO gave me the agreement, and it is similar to what you've typed. The problem is I've tried sending the letter and copies of the agreement to Tesla, but have gotten no response. There is no information on WHERE to send it--I've tried email, using the account app, and calling, all with no avail.

The PO gave me the agreement, and it is similar to what you've typed. The problem is I've tried sending the letter and copies of the agreement to Tesla, but have gotten no response. There is no information on WHERE to send it--I've tried email, using the account app, and calling, all with no avail.

For a start, I would send to

[email protected]

Maybe you can stop by a Service Center to ask about it too.