TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Transferring Model 3 Reservation

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by anhnguyen, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. anhnguyen

anhnguyen Member

Hello,

Anyone have any details on the possibility of transferring a reservation to someone else? I heard you can't but then you can if you call in and all that jazz.

I wanted to ask here before I start blowing up the social media and calling them up.

Thanks!

• Disagree x 2
  2. kengchang

kengchang Member

"Non-transferrable"

3. kev1n

kev1n Member

transferable with approval from Tesla

4. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Non-transferable is right. There is a reason for this and that reason is to avoid resale for profit and instead let those who really want the car purchase it. Tesla should really be strict about this unless it's a really unique situation in my opinion.

5. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Of late, this type of behavior seems more revealing of the instigator than of the one being targeted.
    Never hurts to try, but don't put too much hope into getting a waiver on their published policy.

6. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

" Before I start blowing up the social media and calling them up"
    who are you?? Trump???
    Good luck with that attitude !!!

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_reservation_agreement.pdf
    The title of the section and the body content are in conflict. Hence the variety of answers you'll get on TMC.

The phrasing of the section title should have been something like "Transferable with written approval". Obvious for even for "engineer English" (vs. "lawyer English") speakers like myself.

• Like x 1
  8. racpuc

racpuc Member

You can add the person you want to "transfer" the car to your account. Then change the email and password to the account.

9. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I suspect the heading is meant to convey reality -- reservations are generally non-transferable with rare exceptions (or so it seems from everything I have seen on TMC).

10. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

Looks like you can only have one other person (secondary contact) on the account. I suppose you could delete the secondary contact and then add the new one.

11. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

That would seem to be a very easy way around a transfer restriction. The only thing Tesla could do might be to require the credit card account name used for the rez to be the same as that used for the order and delivery.

12. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

I'm still curious about this option. When I leased my model S last year, I put down three model 3 deposits down, intending one to be for my adult daughter and expecting that she could just purchase the car using my reservation. It soon became apparent that it wouldn't be that simple. Wondering if she would have to be the primary 'contact' or just the secondary and change the CC info and possibly the rest of the contact info. Would like to avoid the hassle of purchasing the car and then reselling it.

13. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I would suspect you'll be able to register the car to whomever you want. In particular, I can't imagine they would try to stop you from using your reservation to buy a car for a family member. And I believe it's very likely they will allow the payment to come from somebody else.

• Like x 2
  14. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

yeah, except how is that not a transfer?

15. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

It should be. I took my dads s reso because he could not wait for it. Had no issues then so I do not see why the 3 would not work. I just changed email and -assword and info on tesla account.

16. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Then anyone can do such a transfer without asking permission as stated by Tesla? Just change name and password with no consequences?

17. Superloud

Superloud Member

O.M.G. "-assword" just became my new universal password.
    ;-)

• Funny x 3
  18. markb1

markb1 Active Member

It's still the original reservation holder that's signing the purchase agreement, presumably.

19. anhnguyen

anhnguyen Member

Makes sense. Doesn't seem like Tesla has the reservation attached to your drivers license or social security.

20. anhnguyen

anhnguyen Member

...what would the consequence be? losing your place in line? I highly doubt they wanna manage that..