Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transit Connect-sized urban delivery/passenger van

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Musk has said he'd like to do a fullsize truck at some point, but I think a more logical interim step might be something around the size of a Ford Transit Connect for either urban courier service, or a passenger van for taxi/Uber service. This could also be a useful vehicle to make autonomous. You could even have a robot courier that could pick and carry the packages directly to their final destinations! Thoughts?

I believe Elon has made some sort of reference towards designing a cargo van also, with the caveat that it was an 'in the future' type thing, ie low priority. There are those (myself amongst them) that expect one of the variants of the Model 3 platform to be a small to medium utility van that competes against the Renault Kangoo, Volkswagen Caddy or step a size upward and take on the Ford Transit, VW Transporter, et al. I would personally love to see this - these vehicles are super practical, efficient and would have the natural benefit of the added packaging space that comes along with the Tesla platform architecture.

I'm no expert on this but it would seem the American market in particular is a low dangling fruit for Tesla. Ford sold 103K Transits last year, and thanks to the chicken tax this particular market lacks compelling foreign options like the Volkswagen Transporter and Hyundai iLoad, both of which move more metal here in Australia.

So, in swoops Tesla with a competitively priced all American alternative that costs a fraction to 'fuel', has access to the SC network, features nifty technology and has a trick or two up its sleeve, as you would expect from the plucky little Silicon Valley startup. Dominance in this segment would translate to 100K+ domestic sales per year - a very tempting target for an automaker focused on the magical half a million cars per year mark.

I think there's a future for parcel pickup at local distribution centers. May be converted post offices. After recognition of the right bar code and the addressee's ID, he or she can take it out of a dispenser 24/7. Home delivery is sooo something of the past, unless drone delivery takes off (literally) which I don't see happening any time soon. If no one's home, the drone needs to come back some other time.

Last edited:
Yeah. I certainly believe that such a vehicle would do well, no matter the manufacturer. It was among the suggestions others made when hoping Tesla Motors might go after a contract with the US Postal Service to replace their current fleet.

I don't think the USPS will be operational by the time Tesla is ready to build vans. UPS and FedEx would be the logical buyers.

... and in other news:
http://www.vg.no/forbruker/bil-baat-og-motor/elbil/posten-gjoer-kjempekjoep-av-elbiler/a/23468734/

Google translated: ("Posten" is the Norwegian postal service)
Posten makes giant purchase of EVs

Today makes Posten what is described as one of the largest electric vehicle purchases in Norway, when they sign a contract on the purchase of nearly 300 copies of the electric van Kangoo ZE Maxi, with up to 130 km range. Renault model won the contest against electric vans from Nissan and Peuegeot. Nissan will supply some cars in the agreement.

posten_kjorer.jpg

("EL-BIL" = EV)

We can only speculate about how many they would have purchased if it had a better range... Something like the TMS?