TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Translogic on SPEED last night: Tesla Model S & Roadster, Fisker Karma, Lightning GT

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TheAustin, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TheAustin

TheAustin Model S: P2009 P85

Did anyone catch the show Translogic (from AOL) on the SPEED channel last night? The episode featured EV Supercars, and gave pretty positive, enthusiastic reviews of all the cars featured (The enthusiasm was by design...They gushed over every car and didn't really talk about any negative aspects in detail).

They started with the Fisker Karma, and ended up with the Tesla Roadster and Model S...But in between, they talked about the Lightning GT. Gulp.

TRANSLOGIC 90: Lightning GT Electric Supercar - YouTube

Maybe some of you have heard about the Lightning and/or seen the video (apparently it was on AOL a year ago). But this was the first time I've seen it. And...HOTDAMN! It's a gorgeous car. Now that I have my dream car (Model S), I just found my new dream car!

Anyone else catch the episode? Thoughts? One thing I noticed was that it was clear they shot the segments over a large time span...The Roadster segment featured shots of a very early Model S, but the Model S segment shows the current version.

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

There's been some discussion of the Lightning GT before. Handsome car. The ability to charge in 10 minutes, though, has to be tempered with the question: how many places can provide that level of power?

3. kinddog

kinddog Banned

i watched it. it was okay. the segment on the Roadster was better than the segment on the Model S.

and the camera work was maddening. they kept doing EXTREME RADICAL DUDE CLOSEUPS of the front grill, barely ever showing a nice, normal, non-jittery side shot of the car. which sucked considering the car they featured was mine almost exactly... :mad:

that said, the reviews about the Tesla's were over-the-top great. but that was lessened somewhat by his high opinion of the Karma also.

4. TheAustin

I totally agree, there has to be a lot more complexity to the statements made in that piece...I'm guessing that what we saw was a factor of a long interview being chopped down for time constraints...But I'm definitely going to be following those developments as they unfold to see what the reality is regarding their super-supercharging claims.

- - - Updated - - -

EXACTLY...Obviously they intentionally focused on what they loved about each car, rather than providing a true journalistic positive/negative balance. I can appreciate their positivity and enthusiasm though...In a sense, it's actually refreshing to hear a show focus on the amazing aspects of EV's, and not fall into the usual negative diatribe of high cost, range anxiety, etc. On the other hand, there are so many serious, legitimate concerns about the Karma as a vehicle, and Fisker as a company, that it almost seems negligent not to at least touch on that to some extent. But overall, I think the show did a great job of providing a positive, enthusiastic voice on EV's to a wider audience (who are no doubt largely ICE-heads). I mean, we all know what we know, and have made our purchases accordingly ;)

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

The Lightning is a great looking, sporty car--but does not appear to have the Model S beat when it comes to specs. Curious what the cycle life of the battery will turn out to be.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Note that discussion started in 2007 more than a year before the Roadster started delivery.

7. TheAustin

Agreed...Although that doesn't mean that I wouldn't mind one sitting in my driveway, waiting to take a weekend zip out to Montauk...
    :)

8. Majerus

Majerus Member

I will say that the Karma review was frustrating. At one point they described the touch screen layout as been efficient and well done. Which is exactly opposite of any other review I have read or watched on the Karma's touch screen. The lightning GT made me gulp a little bit because I had never heard of that company and when they said 10 min charge I was just stunned. After mentioning only 200 a year production rate I didn't fear as badly as I had initially. The Tesla review focused too much on the roadster in my opinion and could have highlighted more the the "skateboard" design or other characteristic of the model s which are more interesting. Over all pretty neat to see a show where they are not bashing electric cars and are really showing the plus's to each vehicle.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

... and apparently some of the minuses as a plus.

I didn't see the show, but this alone makes the show not worth fetching to go watch.