Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transparent Roadster Top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The top is fairly easy to install and remove, one person can do it since the roof is rather light. Inside the crate was a pair of gloves (so as not to leave fingerprints while handling the top), a soft case to store the top in, an allen wrench to loosen/tighten the mounting bolts, and a wax for the roof. There are a total of 8 bolts - 4 on each side, one in front and three in the back. You install the roof by removing all the bolts and mounting hardware. One of the bolts in the back holds a cover over the bracket that holds the roof in place by using the slot in the bottom of the existing mount of the rear bracket (the ones on the CF roll bar). The rear bracket is held in place with two bolts. The front mounts with an aluminum piece that slides into the lower slot on the front bracket. After placing this piecein the front bracket on each side, you place the roof on the Roadster and insert the bolts in front and then attach the rear brackets with their bolts. Don't tighten any of the bolts fully yet. Once all the bolts are in place push down on one front corner and tighten the bolt, then repeat for the other front corner. Then tighten the rear bolts and then cover with the caps. Once you've done this it is very simple.

So far I have not had rain leaking in - which I did with the soft top. That is the primary reason I bought the top. I drive my Roadster to work every day, normally 75 - 100 miles each day. It was rather annoying having the roof drip when it rained (yes it does rain in Arizona). In fact, it has rained the last 4 days - ever since I received the roof! Also, I have been told that with the solid roof, my voice is more intelligible over the Bluetooth (another factor in my purchase) and the price is less than a CF roof from Tesla (factor 3).

Throw in that it is made in Italy (not that I am biased), looks cool, makes the interior feel roomier and is rare in the US (for now) - I just had to have it.

One thing on the price. While Maurizio is asking 2350 Euro, from the US you have to wire him the money, that incurs a wire transfer fee from your bank. And you will pay custom duty after you receive the roof, approximately $150.

Pictures with Glass Top

Here are some pictures of the entire Roadster with the Glass top in place. Wiztecy - I took some of these just for you. :smile: I hope you like.
F15-Tesla 3.JPG
F15-Tesla.JPG
F15-Tesla 2.JPG
Thud-Tesla.JPG
F4-Tesla.JPG

Just got my clear hardtop on the group buy ......... Outstanding!!!
Fit was perfect, shipping crate was amazing ..... Top was clean well protected and easy to install.

Had to cut 3.0mm off of passenger side bracket to make it fit the Tesla hardtop clamp but no problem. The rest appears to be perfect and the top is beautiful!!!

Roadster owners should consider this...... It's really cool!!

Next rain I will report on the outcome but it appears to fit really well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks ipdamages!

I installed mine yesterday and really like it. Very nicely made, looks beautiful, and I like the way it fits, tucked in between the windshield and the roll bar.

When i got in the car the first thing I said out loud was " Wow!". That was also the first thing my wife said when she got in the car. It is tinted. From the outside it appears black, but from inside it looks almost completely clear! It is a strange feeling, like the top is off but you don't feel any wind. During nice weather I'll still prefer no top, but for very hot or cold or rain, or parking in a less secure area, this top is very nice.

thanks to ipdamages for making it happen!

michael

I installed mine yesterday and really like it. Very nicely made, looks beautiful, and I like the way it fits, tucked in between the windshield and the roll bar.

When i got in the car the first thing I said out loud was " Wow!". That was also the first thing my wife said when she got in the car. It is tinted. From the outside it appears black, but from inside it looks almost completely clear! It is a strange feeling, like the top is off but you don't feel any wind. During nice weather I'll still prefer no top, but for very hot or cold or rain, or parking in a less secure area, this top is very nice.

thanks to ipdamages for making it happen!

michael

I'm glad you guys have had a positive experience with your tops. I installed mine yesterday and I love it. I feel like this is the top that the car is meant to have. The fit is excellent and I really prefer the tops that sit flush with the carbon rollbar rather than sitting over it, as the carbon tops do.

I have noticed that it heats up the inside, but I'm fine with that as I just toll the window down if I want to cool off, I live near the beach, and for the summer I'm more likely to be either going topless or use the mesh top.

But if anyone is considering a buy, I highly recommend working with David at Mr. Fiat. It took a bit longer than we would have liked, but that was the fault of the Italians, not David. And even then, the quality of the top makes it well worth the wait (IMO).

I only really use the hardtop during the winter and figured the clear top would be great for greenhouse like cabin heating during the cold months. Like you, I use the mesh top or open most of the summer.

I just never got in the GB as I already have the CF top which I like except for the rubbing issue....

Raffy.....link me to where I should goto order this....

You can either ask to Mr. Fiat in the USA:

http://mrfiat.com/

or you can buy it from Maurizio in Italy who really builds the glass Roadster top. I am in contact with Maurizio. He lives 20 km South of Rome. On Monday I will call Maurizio and ask him what you have to do to buy the top from him.

The reason we went with Mr. fiat is that he handles all of the import duties and customs issues, and I value my time. And he was willing to give us a discount so that the prices were actually $10 cheaper to go with him than ordering directly from Maurizio. Mr. Fiat gets a cheaper price than do we. And he told me that if one is willing to wait for the occasional promo that Maurizio does, he can get better prices and pass savings along. He cut off $100 each from our order for the group buy.

But Raffy is right that Mr. Fiat is just ordering from Maurizio at Visium, or his colleagues.