TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Transparent Roadster Top

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Fabrizio, Jan 26, 2013.

1. 7racer

7racer Member

anyone know of an easy way to contact the company or Raffy?

He seems to have his pm's disabled?

I seem to have lost the from mount and screw for one side of the top and need to purchase a replacement.

2. BartJ

BartJ Member

3. 7racer

7racer Member

thank you!!

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

@7racer, your profile doesn't show what country you are located in, but if you are in the USA the Visum top dealer is this company and perhaps they can help you mrfiat.com

5. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

I too have had an issue with my new Visium top, installed it about 2 months ago. Everything was fine up until yesterday when the passenger side door seal detached while I was driving. Looking at the glue job its pretty clear they're not using a sufficient amount of adhesive, not doing a good job distributing it across the surface and not compressing the seal while it cures. I haven't attempted to contact Mr. Fiat (from whom I bought the top) about the issue, but I might reach out to Maurizio (as suggested by BartJ). In the meantime, I took matters into my own hands and attempted to fix it myself.

Removed the old glue, ethanol cleaned the mating surfaces, put a heavy bead of 3M silicon on both hard plastic surfaces (top side), built a compression jig out of some clamps and 1" insulating foam board. The foam board seems to be nice balance of good rigidity and slight flexibility, giving good, even compression.

Some photos: Visium Reseal

We'll see how it holds up.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

You need to use 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Silicone is not going to last very long.

7. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

The stuff I used is designed for marine decking applications, I expect it'll be fine (I've used it in similar applications previously). Its also quite similar in final consistency to what I removed...

If it isn't I'll certainly try that.

8. Cor van Houtum

Cor van Houtum New Member

hello guy's
    why not saw a hole in the normal hardtop and put a universal sunroof in it
    what is your opinion

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

The hard top is curved. It might look odd/cheap if you had a flat or mis-curved glass roof inserted in the hard-top.

sunroof

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

A sunroof is not the same, not even close to the experience a fully transparent top offers.

11. Matt G.

Matt G. Member

I'll second this. Based on wiztecy's reviews I got the vizium top and couldn't be happier with how it has opened up the roadster's cockpit.

12. CruzInVA

CruzInVA #1422 Silver

Love the transparent top, and thinking of placing an order.

Just curious, based on actual owner experience, what's the difference between the Premium and Basic versions, other than $700?

13. ecarfan

I bought the Basic version. I have no direct experience with the Premium version. From memory, I think it includes a cloth storage bag, not sure what else. My guess was that the top itself was the same between the two versions.

Maybe someone here bough the Premium top and can contribute.

14. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

...the Premium top is to be somewhat lighter. I'd personally go with the basic, $700 is a good bit of money.

15. CruzInVA

CruzInVA #1422 Silver

Thanks EcarFan. $700 cloth bag... Nah

Has to be something else to it. Surely

16. CruzInVA

CruzInVA #1422 Silver

Ah. Posts crossed in transit.

Any idea what makes the weight difference?

Or more importantly, why we should care to the tune of $700 ?

17. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

...the Premium is about 2.2 lbs lighter.

18. BartJ

BartJ Member

That's not correct I think, don't know from where you have this information ....

This is what I got from Maurizio , the manufacturer :

It can choose between two versions :
    - Hardtop Visium Premium for Tesla Roadster cost 2400 Euro, insured shipping included. The offer includes: - Visium Hardtop Premium for Tesla, with anti-scratch treatment on both sides. - DTC certification - Protective Custody - Cleaning Kit -Insured shipping
    -Hardtop Visium Basic for Tesla Roadster cost 1850 Euro The offer includes: - Visium Hardtop Basic for Tesla, with Anti-scratch treatment outer side only. - DTC certification -Insured shipping

It only takes 5 minutes to install the hardtop visium, number 6 with clamping bolts I remain at your disposal for further clarification.

19. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Differences Noted:

Tesla Roadster Opel Speedster Vauxhall VX220 Transparent Hardtop Premium

Part: Tesla Hardtop
    $3,290
    Product Description
    Premium transparent hardtop for Tesla Roadster, Opel Speedster, and Vauxhall VX220 models. Includes a cleaning kit and a cover for storage. The hardtop is made of a polycarbonate polymer very resistant and indestructible. Treated with anti-scratch and anti-UV on both surfaces, weighs 5 kg and has a shade of dark color for the reduction of glare, with a light transmission equal to 12%. This treatment ensures blackout: · An exact color perception making it pleasant and comfortable view. · Interior Privacy. · Protection from infrared and ultraviolet light. The installation takes 5 minutes through mechanical locks without any modification to the car.

Tesla Roadster Opel Speedster Vauxhall VX220 Transparent Hardtop Basic
    Part: Tesla Hardtop Basic
    $2,590

Product Description
    Basic transparent hardtop for Tesla Roadster, Opel Speedster, and Vauxhall VX220 models. The hardtop is made of a polycarbonate polymer very resistant and indestructible. Treated with anti-scratch and anti-UV on outside surface, weighs 6 kg and has a shade of dark color for the reduction of glare, with a light transmission equal to 12%. This treatment ensures blackout: · An exact color perception making it pleasant and comfortable view. · Interior Privacy. · Protection from infrared and ultraviolet light. The installation takes 5 minutes through mechanical locks without any modification to the car.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. ecarfan

Thanks @thefortunes. Yep, 1 kg lighter and a "cleaning kit and a cover for storage". I did not think that was worth $700.