Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transplanting the key card RFID to my phone Case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm amazed that I never knew the NFC approach works almost 3.5 years into owning our first. I've been using it now for the past few days flawlessly with our phones.
Same... I just did a test, with my phone on airplane mode, and tapped to the B-Pillar... It unlocked the car, and let me drive it. I'm curious if I can tap it to the center console to add/remove keys. I know it says you can't use a phone key to do that, but I wonder if the documentation is referring to phone key in bluetooth mode, not NFC mode... Because it says you can tap a keyfob, and a keyfob is basically like an Android phone, it has NFC and bluetooth.

Reactions: dduffey and Ecoli
Same... I just did a test, with my phone on airplane mode, and tapped to the B-Pillar... It unlocked the car, and let me drive it. I'm curious if I can tap it to the center console to add/remove keys. I know it says you can't use a phone key to do that, but I wonder if the documentation is referring to phone key in bluetooth mode, not NFC mode... Because it says you can tap a keyfob, and a keyfob is basically like an Android phone, it has NFC and bluetooth.
Just to add more data, since I upgraded my wife's phone... You cannot add/remove keys by tapping the phone to the center console... But on the plus side, I found (by accident), that you don't actually need to have the tesla app open when you tap the B-pillar. Phone only needs to be unlocked. You can't have any apps (other than tesla app) in the foreground tho. It only works from the homescreen if the tesla app is not in the foreground.

I have placed one of my key cards between my phone and its case for the last year or so. The problem is that despite the case being plastic, the key card cannot be read by either the B pillar sensor or the one in front of the armrest, while the phone is encased. My assumption is that the metal of the phone, or the electronics (Bluetooth?), is somehow interfering with the readers. I've taken the phone out of the case and with the case between the card and the reader, it works so I know it's the phone that's the issue.
Interesting, with my old phone (samsung s10) I had the card between the phone and case and it work on the b pillar sensor. I just got a new samsung s22, and now the card reader doesnt work. It seems to be some interference with the phone. Not sure why it would be different.

Interesting, with my old phone (samsung s10) I had the card between the phone and case and it work on the b pillar sensor. I just got a new samsung s22, and now the card reader doesnt work. It seems to be some interference with the phone. Not sure why it would be different.
With my iPhone 13, I have to separate the case from the phone in order for it to work. I've tried multiple locations for the RFID and it's always the same problem. Not a big deal, for the very few times I need to use it.

@Devin94539 Since I posted that info almost a year ago, I have found that the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge phone/keycard/case combination does work on the B pillar and the armrest card reader BUT is has to be positioned just right in order to work. The armrest card reader seems slightly more sensitive but then again, I don't try that often to open the car from the outside (have a fob). Maybe it's due to me changing the phone case about a year ago. 🤷‍♂️

Generally, if I delay putting the car in gear and have to badge-in with the armrest reader, I can do it easier with the phone case, than to try fishing out my fob.

If you are using an Android Phone with NFC, you can just tap your phone to the b pillar. No need to unlock phone. Just turn it on and tap.