Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transport Wheels Inside Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never had winter tires before and am considering starting to do so with my Model 3 when it arrives. I am not too thrilled about the idea of changing the tires myself twice a year, so I want to be able to take them somewhere to have it done. My question is, how do people transport their wheels/tires? Has anyone with a Model 3 confirmed if you can fit a set of four 19" wheels with tires mounted in the vehicle (two in the trunk and two in the cabin)?

Reactions: Pkmmte
I agree, I cannot see it being a problem. You could always fold down the back seats and shove them all in through the trunk. Another options is to find a place that will store them for you. There is shop near me that will store the set your not using for the season and then swap them out for you twice a year.

I'll probably end up doing it myself though since it should pay for itself in just a few years.

Do not have a Model 3 yet (kinda obvious...), but moved a lot of tires in cars: never had a problem putting all 4 tires in the car if you do not use the rear seats.

In my current car, a 2008 328i xDrive, which has a smaller trunk than Model 3, from what I saw when You You came to Montreal, I can easily put all 4 wheels in the trunk and back seats (put the back seats down).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ConcordeSST
It's really not that difficult to change the tires yourself, especially if you have the right tools for the job. As for transporting, I guarantee you won't have any problem fitting 4 wheels with tires on them in the Model 3. I have done this in my 2012 Ford Mustang when bringing my spare set of 18 inch wheels in to get new tires put on. I was able to fit 2 wheels in the trunk and one wheel in the back seat and the other in the front seat. If I can fit 4 wheels with tires mounted in a Mustang you should be able to fit 6 or more in the Model 3.

Some advice if you do end up doing this, put down something on the seats to protect them from the tires. Even brand new tires can leave marks on leather seats (I learned this the hard way).

Reactions: ConcordeSST
I could fit all 4 of my 235 45 r17 rims in the back seat of my Pontiac grand am coupe! But i highly suggest changing your own wheels every season. Shops will over torque your lug nuts and you will be screwed trying to get them off again. And they will mark up and destroy your lugs and rims in the process. Trust me, be there done that...