TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Transportation Committee Advances bill to allow BEV's in HOV lanes

Discussion in 'New England' started by joelm, Apr 14, 2016.

1. joelm

joelm Member

I just noticed this article. Does anyone have any insight into whether this has a chance of becoming law and how long the process usually takes? I would imagine even if/after the law is passed, there will be a delay with the state figures out the requirements for identifying vehicles. I think in CA, cars get stickers to put on the side of the car so troopers can easily identify them at high speed.

MA Transportation Committee advances bill that would expand electric car perks

2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Encouraging...now add an HOV lane to the Pike!

• Like x 1
  3. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

Updating to show Ways and Means Committee review.
    Bill H.4282
    So, still moving. No vote yet.

4. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I think it's important to note one of the revisions of this bill from its inception.

This passage is new as of May 12th:

SECTION 6. The secretary of transportation, in consultation with the secretary of energy and environmental affairs, shall conduct a study examining the advisability and feasibility of assessing surcharges, levies or other assessments to offset projected gas tax revenue loss from the purchase and/or operation of zero-emission vehicles. The study shall examine practices in other states and shall include input from electric vehicle manufacturers, dealers, and trade associations, the Zero Emission Vehicle Commission, electric vehicle and hydrogen fuel cell vehicle manufacturers, electric vehicle charging station manufacturers and hydrogen providers, as well as transportation, environmental and clean energy advocacy groups. For the purposes of this section, zero-emission vehicle shall be defined as a fuel cell vehicle or a vehicle that uses a plug-in battery to provide all or part of the motive power of the vehicle, including battery electric, plug-in hybrid electric, or plug-in fuel cell vehicles. The report shall be filed with the clerks of the senate and house of representatives, the senate and house committees on ways and means, and the joint committee on transportation not later than April 1, 2017.

TL;DR, they want to tack an EV Tax on to offset the loss of gas tax revenue.

5. djplong

djplong Member

I did the math. In order for me to pay for all the fuel taxes (federal and state) that would be 'lost' when I 'go EV', it would cost me under $20/mo. That's based on my Camry (for fuel economy), the number of gallons of gas I go through in a year (I've been tracking this for 4 years) and the amount of federal and state taxes per gallon.

If they auto-hit my credit card for $20/month, I don't think I'd have a problem with that.

6. ModelNforNerd

The way they collect these right now is during your registration/renewal process. So if you're in NH plates, driving on MA roads, there is currently no mechanism in place for MA to collect revenue from you for usage.

But....we're dealing with politicians here, I'm sure they're all off on summer break, thinking of new and exciting ways to use modern technology to stick their hands in your pockets.

7. djplong

djplong Member

They don't, by and large, get my fuel tax money as it is. I live on the border and *almost* always fill up close to home. I can't remember the last time I filled up in MA. From the MA point of view, it's the status quo. NH and the Feds get my tax money.

8. ModelNforNerd

The Feds dish that money out to the states, so in a way, your contribution eventually trickles down to MA.