Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transportation option gone for CPOs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not just you. They've removed all locations from the CPOs, and in about half, they've added back more "regional" locations, which aren't as helpful. Also, the transportation fee (if there is one) is no longer disclosed until AFTER you've placed your deposit down. About half of the listings now show about eleven different "Local pick up" areas, like "Local pick up in New England" or "Local pick up in SF Bay area". The other half has no location information at all. I guess that's Tesla's way of saying "Local pick up" has no delivery fee, but it's really not clear until after a deposit is placed.

I don't know who's making these decisions, or why, but it is another head-scratcher, for sure. Maybe it's a cost-cutting move to consolidate new/Inventory/used/CPO sales to a few specific regional locations. I know last time Tesla removed "Location" information, I was inundated with emails from people asking "What happened to the 'Location' data? How do I find cars near me?" Then eventually Tesla added it back, and people rejoiced.

It's clear to me that's how most people want to search for used/CPO cars. People want more clarity, not less.

It's not just you. They've removed all locations from the CPOs, and in about half, they've added back more "regional" locations, which aren't as helpful. Also, the transportation fee (if there is one) is no longer disclosed until AFTER you've placed your deposit down. About half of the listings now show about eleven different "Local pick up" areas, like "Local pick up in New England" or "Local pick up in SF Bay area". The other half has no location information at all. I guess that's Tesla's way of saying "Local pick up" has no delivery fee, but it's really not clear until after a deposit is placed.

I don't know who's making these decisions, or why, but it is another head-scratcher, for sure. Maybe it's a cost-cutting move to consolidate new/Inventory/used/CPO sales to a few specific regional locations. I know last time Tesla removed "Location" information, I was inundated with emails from people asking "What happened to the 'Location' data? How do I find cars near me?" Then eventually Tesla added it back, and people rejoiced.

It's clear to me that's how most people want to search for used/CPO cars. People want more clarity, not less.

Yes, it is very frustrating. For a few weeks now the whole system was a bit wonky. Prices on the same cars would go up or down a few hundred dollars when you were looking at regular listings vs. looking nationwide. Wondering if it had to do with that, or perhaps they want to focus all their transportation infrastructure on just moving new M3s around the country.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Here's what someone posted to a Tesla facebook group yesterday:

"Just got word that CPO cars will no longer be transported to other locations as of today. It must be picked up locally where the car is located. You can arrange your own car carrier to transport it, but you will need to complete the transaction (paid in full, with all contracts and paperwork signed) before shipping it out.

UPDATE 08/03/18 @ 3:14PM: looks like Tesla is still doing transport for another week. After that, no more Tesla-arranged transport and must be local pickup only."

See:Tesla Showroom Deals

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I’m fine with this. I had a Porsche sent via high end enclosed auto transport from Walnut Creek, CA to Chicago 3 years ago for $1200. It was a little more legwork, but less than half what Tesla was charging.

With the Supercharger network being so well developed now, I think it would be easier and more fun to just drive the car home. You would have to go to the car's location to verify condition and take delivery anyway.
The only problem is if the car is located in California. If you purchase the car there I believe you have to pay their used car sales tax of 7.5%. If you live in a state with no used car tax, a lower tax rate, or a state that doesn't count tax paid in another state, it could be a deal breaker.

This could be a good thing because most shipping quotes I've seen are around $1000 so if you can do it yourself and were factoring in the $2500 fee before, you could save some money.

The only problem is if the car is located in California. If you purchase the car there I believe you have to pay their used car sales tax of 7.5%. If you live in a state with no used car tax, a lower tax rate, or a state that doesn't count tax paid in another state, it could be a deal breaker.

This could be a good thing because most shipping quotes I've seen are around $1000 so if you can do it yourself and were factoring in the $2500 fee before, you could save some money.
Good point, hadn't thought about the CA sales tax thing. Most states don't do that. For example, I purchased a car in Oregon and paid Colorado sales tax to the dealer, for which I was credited when I registered the car at home. Would need to choose a car in a state other than California unless one lives there.

When using ev-cpo i can see the cars all over but when i click to look at the car on the tesla website if it is not in my region (SE), i cannot have access to it. From the posts above am i to understand that if i call the sales center i could still purchase the vehicle but i would be the one to have to arrange the transportation?

When using ev-cpo i can see the cars all over but when i click to look at the car on the tesla website if it is not in my region (SE), i cannot have access to it. From the posts above am i to understand that if i call the sales center i could still purchase the vehicle but i would be the one to have to arrange the transportation?

It's possible the car is sold if it doesn't popup (the site will catch up to that shortly).

But yes, you can always call a sales location to inquire about any VIN. You can also ask about other cars that might not be listed online.

Thanks. it now seems to be working for me. Any tips in regards to getting in touch with a good sales associate that will "help" find a car that is in good shape. I have read on the site where others got a great sales rep that really assisted them.
i have interacted with a rep via email and his attitude and level of assistance has been zero and attitude has been one of arrogance - sent pictures on a vehicle and was slow and reluctant to answer questions and pretty much said he could only provide the pics and not answer any questions.

Sorry, the only thing I can suggest is calling a different sales center and try again with someone else. I know other people have had luck with specific people within the Tesla organization (the name "Brett" is mention ALOT), so maybe someone else can chime in.
With the caveat that I haven't spoken to him in over two years, Brent Seavey in Illinois handled my CPO purchase and got a lot of praise from others. His Linkedin info suggests that he's doing new car sales now but perhaps he could recommend a good CPO advisor. Two years ago his contact info was:

Brent Seavey | Pre-Owned Sales Advisor, Midwest/Central U.S.
1200 Old Skokie Valley Rd | Highland Park, IL 60035
m 630-849-4233 | [email protected]

Ev-CPO, not sure u can assist or not but when I look on your site on my iPad, when I click on cars, I can only see cars that are tied to my home zip on the tesla site, so for a lot of the cars that say no pickup location, unless they are in my region, they don’t come up. I tried to delete my zip but it says it’s a required field. On my phone, I can pull up any car on the Tesla site because there is no zip code tied to the site on my phone. Any idea how I can get the zip code automatically being tied in to my iPad?

It may appear that way, but it's not that the cars are linked to a zip code. You should be able to see any car with the links from EV-CPO. The difference may be which browser you are using or if you're blocking user agent or things like that.

For instance, I can see any car listed in any region using my iPhone, Mac and Windows machines. So there's something with your particular devices that's causing the difference, not anything linked to zip code or region.

CADE717D-204B-471F-B687-9E4FBE5FAC12.png

When I hit the link it brings me to Tesla website but limits my look to ones in Cumming GA - a local ga zip code -in pic of web page see above the word Used - it says 20 Tesla’s for Cumming. If the car I click is in the southeast, the actual car comes up otherwise I get this. Any thoughts on why this is happening?