Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Transporter" Access Code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a few months since I wrote about this so I thought I would bring up the topic again and get feedback.

In the movie The Transporter, Jason Stratham has to enter a numbered access code into his car before the car will turn on. I thought that would be a great software update for Tesla to make for security reasons.

Safeguarding the starting of the car is one thing, but why not take it a step further and limit certain functions depending on whose driving.

Make it possible for the primary owner/driver of the car to enter four digit access codes into the car for each authorized driver, like an administrator does on a computer. Each person’s access code limits them to certain functions on the car. For instance, you may not want your 17-year old to have access to Ludicrous Mode, so that would not be an available option while they drive the car.

Each authorized driver of the car has his/her access code to start the car. A Valet access code would also be added for maintenance and Valets. Unexpected drivers could be given the Valet access code.

Yes, I know there is already a Valet setting, but it doesn’t prevent someone from starting the car and driving away in Valet mode.

Would you like something like this on your Tesla?

Yep, I would love the TouchID option... that would really secure it (and we do have it, sorta, since the app can use it). Too bad anyone can steal the keys!

We have fingerprint readers at a datacenter I use from time to time. Suck so bad, I have to have things redone all the time. My phone works all the time. Keep telling people they should license the tech from Apple. (FaceID, I don't know so much about!)

If your lock takes a key and someone defeats it, you must change the key.
If your lock takes a password and someone defeats it, you must change the password.
If your lock takes a fingerprint and someone defeats it, you must change the entire system.
You *do* have ten fingerprints...

Edit: and the datacenter case you need a passcard, also.

It's been a few months since I wrote about this so I thought I would bring up the topic again and get feedback.

In the movie The Transporter, Jason Stratham has to enter a numbered access code into his car before the car will turn on. I thought that would be a great software update for Tesla to make for security reasons.

Safeguarding the starting of the car is one thing, but why not take it a step further and limit certain functions depending on whose driving.

Make it possible for the primary owner/driver of the car to enter four digit access codes into the car for each authorized driver, like an administrator does on a computer. Each person’s access code limits them to certain functions on the car. For instance, you may not want your 17-year old to have access to Ludicrous Mode, so that would not be an available option while they drive the car.

Each authorized driver of the car has his/her access code to start the car. A Valet access code would also be added for maintenance and Valets. Unexpected drivers could be given the Valet access code.

Yes, I know there is already a Valet setting, but it doesn’t prevent someone from starting the car and driving away in Valet mode.

Would you like something like this on your Tesla?

It sounds cool. But I’m not sure it’s worth the complexity. A few preset profiles perhaps - I’d love to have a kid/senior profile. Similar to valet, but have seat adjustments and such.

Yep, I would love the TouchID option... that would really secure it (and we do have it, sorta, since the app can use it). Too bad anyone can steal the keys!

We have fingerprint readers at a datacenter I use from time to time. Suck so bad, I have to have things redone all the time. My phone works all the time. Keep telling people they should license the tech from Apple. (FaceID, I don't know so much about!)

I was leaning more toward a software upgrade that would make it all possible rather than Tesla having to add hardware to the car that costs Tesla money and time. I know software development takes time and man hours, but a good developer could knock out the software code in short order.

Somebody mentioned a kid and senior profile...good idea. It think it would also be cool to be able to limit Valet range as well...no taking my car on a city tour while I sleep in the hotel.

The first thing I thought when I saw him key a PIN to get the car started is how easy that would be to see from outside. At least at an ATM or an alarm panel you stand in front of the keypad and can shade it from view with your other hand.

A small keypad down between the seats would help a lot with this. Or an unlock code about 30 digits long, too much for someone outside to memorize all at once.

I was leaning more toward a software upgrade that would make it all possible rather than Tesla having to add hardware to the car that costs Tesla money and time. I know software development takes time and man hours, but a good developer could knock out the software code in short order.

Somebody mentioned a kid and senior profile...good idea. It think it would also be cool to be able to limit Valet range as well...no taking my car on a city tour while I sleep in the hotel.
I think geofencing like this might have some safety implications.
For example the car might refuse to go any further while in a tunnel with nowhere to pull over etc etc.
I do like the idea of having different grades of performance reduction though.

A small keypad down between the seats would help a lot with this. Or an unlock code about 30 digits long, too much for someone outside to memorize all at once.
Good thing there aren't devices that can rapidly save a series of images that can be reviewed later in perfect sequence. ;)

Although I do think the idea is pretty cool/fun, there is a pretty big vulnerability of someone else getting your PIN, especially with a cockpit that's 79.3% glass. <Totally a real statistic that I didn't completely make up on the spot!

Last edited:
Short numerical PINs are only useful if the number of allowed mistakes is small, and the system locks down after that many attempts. I don't relish the idea of calling Tesla, to get my car reset, after a kid punched the buttons for a few minutes.

If you want PIN security, I expect that shutting down the Tesla app after every use, would give you the same effect.

Thank you kindly.

• Helpful
Reactions: strykeroz