TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Transporting Limited 10 ft Long Items in Seven Seat Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by CmdrThor, May 27, 2016.

1. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

After all of the non-folding second row seats and 6 seat vs 7 seat discussion I thought I'd weigh in on my experience loading up some 10' long cargo in my 7 seat configuration.

I needed to pick up some EMT conduit for my upcoming Wall Charger installation (I have a J1772 station currently but it is positioned better to charge our LEAF than it is Model X). I came prepared with some towels to protect the seats and potentially the front or rear glass. It turned out being pretty simple to load the cargo, and thankfully the four EMT conduits were fairly heavy and it didn't seem like they would slide forward or backwards. I'm sure in an accident things wouldn't have been very pretty but I managed to make it home with no issues.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_9406.JPG IMG_9408.JPG IMG_9409.JPG

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  2. Jon

Jon Member

Looks good, especially with the car seat left in place. :).

For this reason, I expect I will be hanging on to my truck for a while until the Tesla Model T (truck) comes out...

Jon

• Like x 1
  3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's ridiculous. I was under the impression people that could afford a Model X would rent a truck or pay someone to do this sort of hauling for them.

• Funny x 4
    • Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Haha, and in my opinion this car I spent so much money on should be able to handle hauling simple things :)

I'm installing the wall charger myself so no reason to pay someone to pick up the conduit and deliver it to my house.

• Like x 4
    • Dislike x 1
  5. idoco

idoco Member

This is why I still have a pickup truck. (Soon to be an electric pickup truck once my X arrives and I no longer need it as my daily driver.)

• Like x 2
  6. fbitz777

fbitz777 Member

So a 6-seater would even be better, right?

I am debating to "upgrade" my 5 seat MX (yet to be produced or even planned to be produced by Tesla) to a 6 seater for larger cargo room (skis,...) and in order to get earlier delivery.

7. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Good choice. 6 seats is perfect unless someone really, really needs 7.

8. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

It would be better for transporting long items, yes. I think something 10 ft would still need to go in to the front seat area though.

9. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

We don't have any gas vehicles, if I need to transport something that requires a pickup I'll just rent a trailer and tow it with the X.

• Like x 3