Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transporting liquid nitrogen in the frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
Is it safe to transport liquid nitrogen in the frunk? (In a dewar of course, not just filling up the frunk directly with LN2 :) )

The liquid nitrogen dewar would be slowly leaking and be a constant source of gaseous nitrogen (by design).

Will this be safe to do so in the frunk for an extended period of time?

Specifically:

a) Will the gas leak out of the frunk to the OUTSIDE of the car, instead of into the cabin

-and-

b) Will it actually leak OUT instead of just pressurizing the frunk? (Can't imagine it being airtight, but just in case).

Nitrogen gas can cause suffocation without warning. Store and use liquid nitrogen only in a well ventilated place.
As the liquid evaporates, the resulting gas tends to displace the normal air from the area. In closed areas, excessive amounts of nitrogen gas reduce the concentration of oxygen and can result in asphyxiation. Because nitrogen gas is colorless, odorless and tasteless, it cannot be detected by the human senses and will be breathed as if it were air. Breathing an atmosphere that contains less than 19 percent oxygen can cause dizziness and quickly result in unconsciousness and death.
Note:
The cloudy vapor that appears when liquid nitrogen is exposed to the air is condensed moisture, not the gas itself. The gas actually causing the condensation and freezing is completely invisible.

I suspect some of it would leak into the cabin. No idea how much. Perhaps you could rent a detector to determine the level.

Plenty of places to leak out up front. There might be a little leakage (always plan for it) between the frunk and cabin. I would make sure the fan was running 2 or higher and it was set to admit fresh air. Cracking a window would also be cheap insurance. Side benefit of putting out any fires that might start due to accident:tongue:. I was just using Ln2 30 min ago to create ground fog.

I've put food in the frunk and smelled it in the car while driving :)

Must have been good food and you being hungry ;)

- - - Updated - - -

on-topic: you should really then make a video of this and opening the frunk in a populated place with a friend talking about how the flux capacitors must be overheating again from the recent trip to the future as the frunk opens and nitrogen vapour slowly creeps out...

What kind of car is this? And has anyone done something similar in a Model S?

post-1623-1395663859.jpg

Deonb -
When I used N2 dewars, they always were so large - tall - that there is no way they would fit upright in a frunk. And you sure wouldn't want to be placing them on their side!!!!!!! What on earth have you got in mind...don't answer that: it's none of my/our business.

I would tend to the view that this is most unwise, at least with windows and pano roof closed.

In the event of a major nitrogen leak, and that entering the cabin, the nitrogen is lighter than the oxygen in the atmosphere and will tend to accumulate at the top of the cabin, potentially asphyxiating the driver who may be unaware of hypoxia.